Ordination to the office of Patriarch

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mjsherman
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Ordination to the office of Patriarch

#1

Post by mjsherman »

Our stake patriarch lives in my ward. He noticed during the annual IOS audit during tithing settlement that his ordination to patriarch does not show up on his record. He was ordained almost 30 years ago. Does anyone know if the ordination to the office of Patriarch ordinarily show up?


Thank you
Mark
jbh001
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

#2

Post by jbh001 »

My understanding is, no. It is like the office of bishop. Once a bishop, always a bishop, but you are still listed as a high priest on MLS regardless.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#3

Post by lajackson »

A bishop or patriarch ordination will show up on the records of the Church in Salt Lake, but not on the local records at the ward or stake in MLS. And, as jbh001 said, the local record will show the high priest ordination, which is also the priesthood office he uses for his line of authority if he were to ordain another brother.
chilindy-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Provo, Utah

something I can rely on?

#4

Post by chilindy-p40 »

lajackson wrote:A bishop or patriarch ordination will show up on the records of the Church in Salt Lake, but not on the local records at the ward or stake in MLS. And, as jbh001 said, the local record will show the high priest ordination, which is also the priesthood office he uses for his line of authority if he were to ordain another brother.


This sounds correct to me, but is this something I can actually rely on? I have the same problem right now of a patriarch who looked over his IOS recently and discovered his ordination to patriarch was not on it. He has ordinations to Elder, HP, and Seventy. Does anyone know for sure that the patriarch ordination will not appear on his local membership record, or does anyone have experience with this specific issue?
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#5

Post by lajackson »

chilindy wrote:This sounds correct to me, but is this something I can actually rely on? I have the same problem right now of a patriarch who looked over his IOS recently and discovered his ordination to patriarch was not on it. He has ordinations to Elder, HP, and Seventy. Does anyone know for sure that the patriarch ordination will not appear on his local membership record, or does anyone have experience with this specific issue?
I can only add that our stake patriarch and the former patriarch who is no longer functioning do not have their ordination to patriarch shown on their membership records at the local level.
chilindy-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Provo, Utah

#6

Post by chilindy-p40 »

lajackson wrote:I can only add that our stake patriarch and the former patriarch who is no longer functioning do not have their ordination to patriarch shown on their membership records at the local level.

Thank you lajackson, I was hoping to hear from someone who had experienced this same issue. One thought I had was to speak with the ward clerk for the ward where we recently had a patriarch called. I figure it is fresh enough he would know if it was recorded or not on the record.

Again, thank you.
hooson
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:45 am
Location: London, England

Office of Patriarch in MLS?

#7

Post by hooson »

I've come up against the same issue this week. MLS Help and other sources don't make any reference to it.

Can anyone confirm definitively that there isn't any way in MLS to record ordinations to the Office of Patriarch in the Melchizedek Priesthood?
Hyde Park Ward
London England Hyde Park Stake
Stake Clerk
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15138
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#8

Post by aebrown »

hooson wrote:I've come up against the same issue this week. MLS Help and other sources don't make any reference to it.

Can anyone confirm definitively that there isn't any way in MLS to record ordinations to the Office of Patriarch in the Melchizedek Priesthood?
MLS Help does provide some helpful information under the topic "Patriarch":
(Stakes only) The Quorum of the Twelve directs the calling of stake patriarchs. The stake president completes and submits a New Patriarch Recommendation form to the the Quorum of the Twelve.
The New Patriarch Recommendation form is not in stake MLS (it must be requested from the office of the Quorum of the Twelve). In ward MLS, the Record Priesthood Ordination option (both the separate feature under Record Ordinances and the option on an individual record under Ordinances) is not even available for a High Priest.

So it seems quite clear that a stake sends the request using the (paper) New Patriarch Recommendation form, and the ordination is recorded by the Quorum of the Twelve, not by the wards or stakes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 2088
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am
Location: South Jordan, UT, USA

#9

Post by jonesrk »

The Patriarch and Bishop ordinations are stored in CDOL
iamrkh
New Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: USA

#10

Post by iamrkh »

With regard to the ordination of a new bishop, how is it recorded and who records it? Is it recorded by the stake as part of the Leadership and Unit Change Request it submits to SLC?

Thank you.
Post Reply

Return to “Membership Help”