Cannot get FamilySearch Indexing to run/launch

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
czaplewska

Cannot get FamilySearch Indexing to run/launch

Post by czaplewska »

Hi,
I hope I am posting this to the correct place. I am older, disabled and low vision. One of the things I can still do is indexing for FS. I have done this for years on this very same computer. A few months back, I started getting the following message:
java.io.IOException: Couldn't get lock for C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\.FamilySearchIndexing\logs/AppContainer-%g.log
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.openFiles(Unknown Source)
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.iarchives.apps.common.jobq.AppContainerUI._main(AppContainerUI.java:281)
at com.iarchives.apps.common.jobq.AppContainerUI.main(AppContainerUI.java:214)

I have cleared the cache, I have uninstalled and re-installed FS Indexing... I have re-installed java... I get the very same message.
I would so much appreciate some help with this as I have not been able to index for months...
Thank you in advance,
Anne
pihutch

Re: Cannot get FamilySearch Indexing to run/launch

Post by pihutch »

I know this is an old post and I hope you found a way to fix the problem, but I just had this problem too and this is the top result when searching for the error message so I thought I'd add some more information. I managed to solve the problem by running FSI as administrator. In the Start menu you can right click the icon and select "Run as administrator".

If you have an icon on your desktop you can make this easier by right-clicking the icon, going to the "Compatibility" tab, putting a tick in "Run this program as an administrator", then clicking OK. Now every time you run it from that icon it will run as administrator. You will get an extra prompt for permissions each time you start, but at least it works.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”