LDS Tools Stake/Out of Unit Calling Need

Discussions around the LDS Tools application for all versions of Windows Phone.
Aeroengineer1

LDS Tools Stake/Out of Unit Calling Need

Post by Aeroengineer1 »

I am currently called to the High Council as well as the Elders Quorum President in our Spanish branch. When I check the roster for the local branch I cannot see any of the children's information (something that is important for an EQ president). It used to be that I had to go to the online version of the roster, but now it seems that this feature has been removed there as well.

Can anyone comment on if this is just due to the fact that the in general no Elders Quorum President has visibility to this, or is just because I am assigned out of unit? I am guessing that because this is now no longer available in the web based version that any API access that was previously there is no longer there to be accessed. Any comments would be helpful so that I can go up the proper direction in the chain to see how to get this resolved.

Adam
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools Stake/Out of Unit Calling Need

Post by lajackson »

The Church is very protective of information concerning children. In general, you will not see information concerning youth and children in another ward. My daughter was an out of unit Primary President in another branch and was never able to see their youth. The branch had to print out the information for her. She could only see the youth in her home ward.
Aeroengineer1

Post by Aeroengineer1 »

While I appreciate the answer (I do, no sarcasm being expressed here), I think that it is better said that the church has been working to understand data privacy rights with respect to the needs of those in callings and has been iterating on the approach that has been taken. My wife is also the out of unit Primary Presidency member and has access to the youth records.

It is not so much though, what is trying to be protected, it is that things are changing, and have changed. Knowing the number of children in the home and their ages is critical information to being able to support these families. As it is apparent that changes are happening, getting the appropriate feedback for the non-mainline use cases will be critical for the programmers to be able to create a system that is both usable as well as protects the data that is needed to be protected.

There are about three work arounds that I can think of:
1. Log in as my wife to see the data - This promotes password sharing and further security risks in general
2. Transfer our records into the branch - As this is a temporary stake assignment, we would lose our home and visiting teachers from the home ward
3. Get a CSV dump out of the MLS on the clerks computer that I have access to which does show the data and then carry that around

None of these are ideal, but all go to the point of, I can get the data (even if it is inconvenient) through legitimate means, why does it have to be locked down in the typical tools that I have immediate access to?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aeroengineer1 wrote:I am currently called to the High Council as well as the Elders Quorum President in our Spanish branch.
I don't know about LDS Tools for Windows, but those with dual callings can in online LCR select which calling credentials to use to show data. It is likely your stake calling as a high councilor is the calling LCR and the app are using for permissions. High councilors do not have access to children information outside their own unit. Check to see if you can select one of the two callings somewhere in the LDS Tools app menu. If not you may have to use LCR and select the appropriate calling.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Use Leader and Clerk Resources.

Once you are logged in, there will be a drop list highlighted in yellow that has your calling as high councilor. Click on that list and select your calling as elders quorum president. You will then be able to see what you need from the member list (Reports > Member List).

Return to “Windows Phone LDS Tools”