New Windows 10 Computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ccordoba24

Re: New Windows 10 Computer

Post by ccordoba24 »

It may be better to leave Skype on it because missionaries use it a lot and also it may come in handy in some other situations.

And edge is now default on windows 10 . Actually I haven't seen ie11 on win10 machines.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

charly3358 wrote:Actually I haven't seen ie11 on win10 machines.
It's there. At least on regular non-church Win10 machines. Just "search" for "IE" from the toolbar and it comes right up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

charly3358 wrote:It may be better to leave Skype on it because missionaries use it a lot and also it may come in handy in some other situations.
I think Skype is available in the web browser now, without needing to download a separate app. If you download the app, it remembers your name/credentials, but with the website you can log in each time (which means that different users can log in without having to log out the previous user).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mpetrini

Post by mpetrini »

mprusse wrote:Following instructions for setting up new Windows 10 computer and put [redacted] for the unit's password. The machine probably rebooted when I left the room after re-running LDSProvisioning and now the password won't let me back in to the unit account. Is there a default password that it might have reverted to?
Same issue we had a swell. Provisioning ran and somehow reset the default password (which we had set per online instructions) after reboot. Can't seem to figure out what it might have been changed to. Looks like a re-image is in our future.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mpetrini wrote:Provisioning ran and somehow reset the default password (which we had set per online instructions) after reboot.
The provisioning software should have asked for your unit number, which it uses to create a Windows login with the name "Unit xxxxx". With the x's being your unit number. Look for this in the lower right of the login screen. That's what the password you entered is for.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mpetrini

Post by mpetrini »

Correct. It asked for the unit number and created the account with the associated name that includes the unit number. At login now we only have the option to log in on that account, but the password we entered before provisioning completed doesn't work.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

When I staged our replacement windows 10 machine I set the password to be the same as the old one. After everything had settled down I then changed to a new password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:When I staged our replacement windows 10 machine I set the password to be the same as the old one. After everything had settled down I then changed to a new password.
I'm finding that by default, the new machines force changing the password every few months.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Prediction: lots of STSes are going to get lots of "I forgot my password" requests every few months.

Prediction: lots of wards are going to have the new passwords written down and "hidden" close by, if not actually stuck to the monitor.

There is a reason why the new NIST guidelines proscribe arbitrary forced password changes.

10.2. Usability Considerations by Authenticator Type

Do not require that memorized secrets be changed arbitrarily (e.g., periodically) unless there is a user request or evidence of authenticator compromise.

This is especially true of passwords which are not used daily (also explicitly pointed out in the NIST guidelines).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'm finding that by default, the new machines force changing the password every few months.
I assume that can be changed? I use Windows 10 at home and do not have to change passwords unless I set it to be so.

Return to “Clerk Computers”