Bulk change scheduled lesson dates?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
homernet

Bulk change scheduled lesson dates?

Post by homernet »

Is there a way to shift all lessons "down" a few weeks? For whatever reason our ward's Sunday School is 4 weeks behind the template generated by the scheduler. (I only just got called as 2nd Counselor to the Sunday School Presidency and nobody in our ward was managing the lesson schedules on LDS.org before me)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bulk change scheduled lesson dates?

Post by russellhltn »

There is a way to get lessons to fill around events, but I don't think there is a way to push everything.

However, there are only 20 Sundays left in the year, so it's not that big a deal to do it by hand. Certainly better to do it by hand then to get surprised by how the computer decideds to do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

A clerk can add an "event" to the lesson schedule tool on a certain date, that shifts everything below it down.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

homernet wrote:Is there a way to shift all lessons "down" a few weeks?
Yes, there is. The lesson schedule can be adjusted forward or backward from what it is currently scheduled. Since I am not certain I understand what you are trying to accomplish I will provide instructions to either move lessons farther out to a future date or bring lessons scheduled at a future date backwards.

Adjust lessons backward from future dates: I suspect this is what you are trying to do. For example, if the lesson scheduled for next week is lesson 27 and you need to be on lesson 30 then follow these steps.
  1. At the top of the Lesson Schedules page and just below the menu line locate the line that reads "Some lessons may be missing due to newly created events. Insert missing lessons". The last three words, "Insert missing lessons", is a link. Click that link.
  2. At the pop-up select the radio button for "Insert specific lessons"
  3. The pop-up will change to show the "Start date:" and "Start lesson" edit boxes. Select the start date you want to change the lesson and the lesson you want to be on that date. If you want lesson 30 to start on 14 August instead of lesson 27 then select "Aug 14, 2016" in the "Start date" box and "Lesson 30: ..." in the "Start lesson" box.
  4. Click the "insert" button to complete the change. Note all the lessons will be adjusted in the future to have lesson 30 start on August 14th and lesson 31 on the following Sunday and so on to the end of the year.
Adjust lessons forward into future dates: For example, if the lesson currently scheduled for next Sunday is lesson 33 and you need it to be lesson 30 and the lessons after that to follow in sequence then follow these steps.
  1. Since we need to adjust three lessons backward click the edit icon, a pencil on paper, for a lesson at least three Sundays in the past.
  2. For the "Lesson Type" for the lesson you are editing select "No Class".
  3. Click the "Save" button.
  4. Repeat steps 1 thru 3 for the next Sunday lesson and the Sunday lesson after that. You should now have three lessons in a row that indicate a lesson that says "No Class". These three lessons are lessons for Sundays that have already passed.
  5. Click the "Insert missing lessons" link. All the lessons should be adjusted backward three lessons and the series set in order after that.
Note that adjusting lessons forward causes the history of lessons in the past to be inaccurate. This may be a problem for anyone wanting to see the history of what lessons were given on any given Sunday.

Typically the situation where lessons need to be adjusted backward arises when events such as general conference and stake conference have not been entered into Lesson Schedules as events by an administrator. As an organization presidency you can accommodate these events for your class schedule when an administrator does not enter these events by entering "No Class" on those Sundays the class was pre-empted by an event such as general conference or stake conference. It is important for Lesson Schedules administrators to enter these ward-wide events to avoid having each organization use the "No Class" work-around.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm a counselor in the Sunday School presidency and I'm not seeing the "Insert missing lessons" link. Do you have to be a clerk, like for adding events?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. Wow, that link is hard to see! :)
screenshot_207.png
(270.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”