LDS Account

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree or disagree with this article?

I have no opinion
75%
I have no opinion
11%
I have no opinion
14%

Total votes: 28

McDanielCA

LDS Account

Post by McDanielCA »

Church Account was originally posted on the main page of Tech. It was written by Ben Hutchins..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://account.churchofjesuschrist.org/
Church Account is a single user name and password for any person who interacts with online LDS Church resources. LDS Account will become the primary account authentication credentials for most Church sites and applications. This will reduce development costs that would be incurred as the user interfaces change, or as upgrades to security and the registration process are required. Unlike today’s authentication, which requires our customers to memorize many user names and passwords, the goal of LDS Account is to become a branded single sign-on solution that is centrally managed.

When registering for a Church Account, members of the Church are asked to provide their MRN (membership record number) and their confirmation date. Members can obtain this information by asking their ward clerk for their Individual Ordinance Summary. A member’s MRN can also be found on the back of the temple recommend.

Account recovery (such as forgotten usernames and passwords) is handled through the e-mail address that the customer used to register. Although there is not currently a phone number or global support desk available to non-employees, scalable support models for customers who need assistance beyond self-service capabilities are being investigated.

While anyone can register for a Church Account, when a member registers using their MRN and confirmation date, Church applications like ChurchofJesusChrist.org will be able to take advantage of Church Account credentials to determine and grant appropriate access based on their current role (e.g. bishop, stake president, etc.). As a member’s role changes, so can the access level of their Church Account.

Over forty Web sites and applications use Church Account credentials for authentication. While most of these Websites are internal, there are a few publicly available sites that use Church Account, such as the Art Competition and a religious class registration site for Logan, Utah institute students.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

telfordca wrote:Church Account was originally posted on the main page of Tech. It was written by Ben Hutchins..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://account.churchofjesuschrist.org/
While anyone can register for a Church Account, when a member registers using their MRN and confirmation date, Church applications like churchofjesuschrist.org will be able to take advantage of Church Account credentials to determine and grant appropriate access based on their current role (e.g. bishop, stake president, etc.). As a member’s role changes, so can the access level of their Church Account.

This is welcome news. My understanding is that, with the exception of certain top unit leadership callings (e.g. bishop, stake president, etc.), central databases at CHQ do not know what members' callings are. I did not think that most MLS calling data is uploaded. Am I wrong, or is that going to change?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

telfordca wrote:...Stake and ward Web sites and familysearch.org customers (which currently use a Net ID password) will be migrated to an LDS Account in the near future.
Does this also mean that only members of the Church would be able to log into FamilySearch.org?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mkmurray wrote:Does this also mean that only members of the Church would be able to log into FamilySearch.org?
You beat me to this question. I had the same thought which I believe may have been expressed in an earlier thread on a similar subject.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Does this also mean that only members of the Church would be able to log into FamilySearch.org?
Certainly some functionality of FamilySearch would be limited to members, but they have stated in the past that they want to open nFS to non-members.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Certainly some functionality of FamilySearch would be limited to members, but they have stated in the past that they want to open nFS to non-members.
That's what I thought...so do you login in order to do member-only tasks? General use of the site would be unrestricted?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I believe the answer to this is in the original article:
telfordca wrote:While anyone can register for an LDS Account, when a member registers using their MRN and confirmation date, Church applications like lds.org will be able to take advantage of LDS Account credentials to determine and grant appropriate access based on their current role (e.g. bishop, stake president, etc.). As a member’s role changes, so can the access level of their LDS Account.
Note that it says that "anyone can register for an LDS Account." Indeed, the first question when you register for an LDS Account is "Are you an LDS Church Member". If you answer No, you aren't asked for membership number or confirmation date.

So it seems to me that the design of LDSAccount already allows for people to use a consistent way to login to FamilySearch, for example, but have different capabilities depending on the properties of that LDSAccount (which could even include the particular callings of a particular LDS member, as stored in CDOL or some other database).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:That's what I thought...so do you login in order to do member-only tasks? General use of the site would be unrestricted?
nFS is currently designed around a collaboration model rather then a reference model. In order to collaborate, it needs to know who you are. That may change as Record Search is added since in Labs you don't need any login to search for things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Thank you to both of you for your answers. It all makes sense now. :)
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

telfordca wrote:http://tech.lds.org/forum/../index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=381&Itemid=1Stake and ward Web sites and familysearch.org customers (which currently use a Net ID password) will be migrated to an LDS Account in the near future.
Very good move but I'm puzzled why LUWS and FS accounts can't be migrated now. What's the incentive to sign up for LDS Account before then unless you're already using one of the apps it does handle (which seem to be mainly for employees or higher-up leaders.)

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”