LDS Account

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree or disagree with this article?

I have no opinion
75%
I have no opinion
11%
I have no opinion
14%

Total votes: 28

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Account

Post by russellhltn »

kristaanncook wrote:We want to do things properly but we are wondering if the Clerk could/should give membership numbers to people over the phone, via email, text message, sealed in an envelope, through snail mail or some other method.
I can't say as I've seen guiance to that effect. The MRN is the gateway to a number of sensitive things, so it sould be handled with care. Thought should be given to coming up with a method that is resistant to "social engineering".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kristaanncook

Post by kristaanncook »

The methods we're considering ALL involve direct contact between the Member and the Ward Clerk.

What leeway does the Clerk have in delivering information? Are there restrictions on how he can supply members with their MRN?

"Social engineering" is not an issue here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kristaanncook wrote:"Social engineering" is not an issue here.
How so? Is the clerk able to recognize everyone's voice? If not, then maybe honoring a request made by telephone is not the best idea.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

The best way is for the clerk to give the member an IOS that along with the introductions on how to log into LDS.org. That way the member has everything they need and can decide wither they want a logon or not.
kristaanncook

Post by kristaanncook »

I know what the "ideal" way is. Unfortunately seventy five percent of our ward is totally inactive so we have to consider other methods -- which is why I posed the question I did.

I appreciate those of you with opinions, but what I need is someone that can point me to church guidelines/policies/procedures if they are out there.

We've considered having an Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS) sealed by the Ward Clerk and delivered to members by Home Teachers (and other alternate methods). We just want to know if there are guidelines/policies/procedures that govern the use of MRN's and how they are handled. We want to do things properly.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kristaanncook wrote:I appreciate those of you with opinions, but what I need is someone that can point me to church guidelines/policies/procedures if they are out there.
I think there are enough clerks with many years of experience that have read and responded to this topic, that it is safe to conclude that there are no specific published guidelines for dealing with MRNs. So you'll just have to follow the general guidelines for protecting sensitive information.
kristaanncook

Post by kristaanncook »

Most of the posts on this topic are from 2009 and 2011. Digital things can change so quickly, I don't feel comfortable with anything over six months old.

Where are these "general guidelines for protecting sensitive information" and how can I access them or tell the Ward Clerk how to access them?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kristaanncook wrote:Where are these "general guidelines for protecting sensitive information" and how can I access them or tell the Ward Clerk how to access them?
Handbook 1, Section 13.8 covers confidentiality of records. Your ward clerk and bishopric have access to Handbook 1.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

kristaanncook wrote:I know what the "ideal" way is. Unfortunately seventy five percent of our ward is totally inactive so we have to consider other methods -- which is why I posed the question I did.
Ok. Here is what I did. I last fall just before tithing settlement I did a mass mailing to members of the ward their Donation statement, IOS, and instructions on how to log into LDS.ORG. So why not do something like that with just the IOS and the instructions.
kristaanncook wrote:I appreciate those of you with opinions, but what I need is someone that can point me to church guidelines/policies/procedures if they are out there.
The only thing you will find is that only Bishops, Clerks, and the individual are authorized view membership records. With the exception of the list of membership numbers in the Bishoprics Temple recommend book the only other person getting a copy of the number from me ,as a clerk, is the member themselves.
kristaanncook wrote:We've considered having an Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS) sealed by the Ward Clerk and delivered to members by Home Teachers (and other alternate methods). We just want to know if there are guidelines/policies/procedures that govern the use of MRN's and how they are handled. We want to do things properly.
It would be inappropriate to give the members IOS to Home Teachers for delivery.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”