LDS Account

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree or disagree with this article?

I have no opinion
75%
I have no opinion
11%
I have no opinion
14%

Total votes: 28

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Matt_Rasmussen wrote:Very good move but I'm puzzled why LUWS and FS accounts can't be migrated now. What's the incentive to sign up for LDS Account before then unless you're already using one of the apps it does handle (which seem to be mainly for employees or higher-up leaders.)
Migrating LUWS and FS accounts to LDSAccount is certainly not trivial. I'm not involved in the development of these applications, but there would have to be a comprehensive transition plan, including documentation, notification, support, etc. in addition to the software and database changes and testing. That's not something you decide to do one day and have it done by the weekend for systems of this size. So be patient; I'm sure it's being worked on.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Alan_Brown wrote:Migrating LUWS and FS accounts to LDSAccount is certainly not trivial. I'm not involved in the development of these applications, but there would have to be a comprehensive transition plan, including documentation, notification, support, etc. in addition to the software and database changes and testing. That's not something you decide to do one day and have it done by the weekend for systems of this size. So be patient; I'm sure it's being worked on.

So I have a question in regards to the merging of the LUWS account in with the LDS Account (and the Family Search ones as well). Will LDS Accounts automatically be created for those with a LUWS or a Family Search account? Or will users need to go create a LDS Account and somehow "merge" it with the other accounts they have? Maybe this hasn't been talked about yet... but if so, please share! :D
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

AileneRHerrick wrote:So I have a question in regards to the merging of the LUWS account in with the LDS Account (and the Family Search ones as well). Will LDS Accounts automatically be created for those with a LUWS or a Family Search account? Or will users need to go create a LDS Account and somehow "merge" it with the other accounts they have? Maybe this hasn't been talked about yet... but if so, please share! :D
My understanding is that you must create the LDS account yourself. However, using the LDS account for the LUWS as well as the many other church applications will take some time and just how the switchover would be handled hasn't been stated.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Techgy wrote:My understanding is that you must create the LDS account yourself. However, using the LDS account for the LUWS as well as the many other church applications will take some time and just how the switchover would be handled hasn't been stated.
It seems that you will most likely just abandon your old accounts in favor of your single-signon LDS Account whenever a website goes live with this new credentials system.
fergie34-p40

Post by fergie34-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:It seems that you will most likely just abandon your old accounts in favor of your single-signon LDS Account whenever a website goes live with this new credentials system.

I think that would cause problems with some sites like NFS as the site data is linked to your account. If a way could be found to allow the user to flag their other accounts and then merge them into the new LDS Account that would be a better option.
Robert Ferguson
South Shore Ward, Plainview New York Stake
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

fergie34 wrote:I think that would cause problems with some sites like NFS as the site data is linked to your account. If a way could be found to allow the user to flag their other accounts and then merge them into the new LDS Account that would be a better option.
Good point, there may have to be some kind of migration with a few sites...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

fergie34 wrote:I think that would cause problems with some sites like NFS as the site data is linked to your account. If a way could be found to allow the user to flag their other accounts and then merge them into the new LDS Account that would be a better option.
Unless I'm mistaken NFS is currently limited to members only and each account is linked to a membership record. LDSAccount is also linked to the membership number (at least for members) so the migration can probably be automatic in a lot of cases.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

eblood66 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken NFS is currently limited to members only and each account is linked to a membership record. LDSAccount is also linked to the membership number (at least for members) so the migration can probably be automatic in a lot of cases.
I think you are right, and it sounds like nonmembers can (or will eventually be able to) create an LDS Account, obviously not linked to a membership account as they are not members.

I thought I remember reading that the goal is for NFS to open to all at some point. So I would agree an automated migration is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken NFS is currently limited to members only and each account is linked to a membership record. LDSAccount is also linked to the membership number (at least for members) so the migration can probably be automatic in a lot of cases.
Yes and no. At this point it's limited to members, but non-members who work in a FHC can sign up with the help of the FHC Director. So not all logins are currently connected with a membership record.

And yes, it's intended for nFS to be open to all at some point. I've heard that point is when it will be called "Ver 1.0". (It's currently around 0.93)

Please note that being a member is not a requirement to get a LDS account. :)

While it's entirely speculation on my part, it's possible that when nFS uses LDS Accounts, that's when it becomes open to all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

As an FYI, LDSAccount does allow for non-member registrations.

Tom

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”