Help Analyzing Webcast Data

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Help Analyzing Webcast Data

Post by lajackson »

richphillips wrote:The download speed ranged from 1.78Mbps to 1.99 Mbps depending on the server it hit. . . .

Should I set the vidiu to "low" for broadcast quality, or go back to the FM group to get the upload speed on the line increased? If an increase, what would be the best speed to request?
I would do both. Low quality setting (for now) and ask the FM group for a faster service, at least at the originating location.

According to the Internet Bandwidth Guide, you should have at the very minimum an Upload speed of 1.5 Mbps for a Medium Vidiu setting. Unless you have at least 2 Mbps up, I would test with and use the low setting.

Your service has two speeds, down and up. At the stake center (or originating location of the conference) the upload speed counts. Since you have a measured speed of approximately 1.8 Mbps down, I am guessing that you have an upload speed of less than that, possibly 750 kbps or even less. But find out what the upload speed is for sure, and set the broadcast quality based on that, probably low.

The receiving locations should have at least a download speed of 1.0 Mbps, but the system will use 1.5 Mbps if it is available.

I don't know when your stake conference is scheduled, but I would ask for increased speed from the FM group if they are able to provide it. I would ask for as much as they can afford to give you. You will have to work hard to make it work with a minimum of 4 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up at the stake center, and 2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up at the receiving locations.

I have been able to run barely acceptable broadcasts with 1.5 Mbps up at the stake center and 750k down at the receiving sites. But they were barely passible to poor and the lack of consistency and system attempts to self-correct were very distracting to the spirit of the conference broadcast.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sometimes it's just a matter of FM ordering a higher level of service (which FM may or may not be willing to cover - they are constrained by budgetary considerations). Other times, it's simply not possible to get better services to a building - even if it's in a developed area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

richphillips wrote:The Church literature is confusing to me. In the overview it states that 2 Mbps should be good for medium quality (500k). In the vidiu setup it says 1.5 Mbps should be good for medium quality 700k.
The rule of thumb is to have your building's measured upload speed be 2x more than the video streaming rate. For example, a 700kb/s video rate would need at least a 1.4Mb/s upload speed available at the originating site. As was mentioned, this upload speed needs to be consistent. Some DSL providers have a hard time with the consistency part.

It's also recommended to have at least a 1.5x margin at each of the download sites, if they wish to receive it at the full rate. So to view a 700k video stream, they would need at least a 1M consistent download speed at each of their sites.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

richphillips, I would suggest you talk to your FM group to see if you can get the Internet speed at the stake center upgraded. That may not be possible depending on where you are located.

Now remember from the stake center you are uploading (sending) the video out. With a download speed of just under 2 megabits/sec, I would suspect your upload speed wouldn't be much more then 0.5 megabits/sec. So I would agree that you set the vidiu to low and give it a test. The thing is that you don't want to use the full bandwidth on your link to do a broadcast. The reason is that once you get to a certain point the line gets saturated and then you get the low quality. Most links don't like having over 90% of the link utilized because there is no "breathing" room for the traffic.

So I would start with the Internet connection at your building.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

I have posted several posts here in the forum to help answer questions. Look through the posts and see if any of them help. Also feel free to email me with any specific questions.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”