Organ Line-in

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
aaronrsmith

Organ Line-in

Post by aaronrsmith »

Has anyone used the organ line-in? Our Rodgers organs have a line-input that seems to work very well. We plan to use it this coming weekend for the audio from a couple of Tab Choir clips that will be shown in the adult session of stake conference. Since the organ output is already mixed into the house sound for the 2nd and 3rd overflows, it should be audible for everyone. The bass response from those large organ speakers is amazing, and sound is in stereo (L/R channels are reversed!). Tabernacle choir recordings almost sound like the actual organ is playing in the chapel.

Our stake center already has xlr cables running from the rostrum to the satellite cabinet, so it is trivial to use two of them connect a mixer output to the organ balanced line-in.

We had a post-young-women's camp fireside recently that included a video with a musical soundtrack. We wish we had thought at the time to use the organ for that!
RyanGard1977

Re: Organ Line-in

Post by RyanGard1977 »

You are fortunate in that you have a decent organ/AV setup like that. It's a good suggestion for those with newer buildings that have that capability.
Ryan Gardner
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aaronrsmith wrote:The bass response from those large organ speakers is amazing,...
When I was in Calif. (decades ago) we had a rash of meetinghouse breakins and the organ speakers were the first things they would go after. They are indeed very nice.

Now you've got me wondering if OUR organ has a line-in jack. :o
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mine has a line in and a midi jack. :) It's also nicer than the stock stake organ.

I'll have to look at the organ in the new chapel. That one screams "basic".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

The line in could also be a handy backup if for some reason the main sound system died and a quick solution was needed to get audio restored until it could be fixed. That happened to us a few times when our Ivie controller died. I set up the speakers we use for YSA dances/activities so we could have audio for sacrament meetings but it was quite an eyesore. If it happens again I'll just use the line in on the organ (making sure to mix things correctly, of course).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Mikerowaved wrote:Now you've got me wondering if OUR organ has a line-in jack. :o
'Fraid not. It has some sort of card reader, but no audio line-in that I can find.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Mikerowaved wrote: 'Fraid not. It has some sort of card reader, but no audio line-in that I can find.
Did you look under the keyboards?
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

aaronrsmith wrote: Since the organ output is already mixed into the house sound for the 2nd and 3rd overflows, it should be audible for everyone.
The mixing of the organ feed into the house system is not standard. It varies from building to building based on the acoustics of the space, and the type of system installed.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
aaronrsmith

Post by aaronrsmith »

It is in the standard mixer configuration for the Legacy stake center plan with three overflows. Heritage plans do not have it. I do not know about any other building layouts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote: 'Fraid not. It has some sort of card reader, but no audio line-in that I can find.
Did you look under the keyboards?
I checked the organ in our newest chapel. It's a Johannus, installed about a year ago. It does have line-in (among other things), under the keyboard. But it's mounted flat against the underside of the keyboard where it's hard to see. It's a pair of 1/4" phone plugs.

But since this is a new chapel, it has a nice stereo line in with volume control next to the pulpit. Makes my life easy. Now, if I could get someone to reset the sensitivity of that input to "line". Right now, it's so sensitive that I get full volume if a just crack the volume open.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”