Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
timmonsd

Re: Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Post by timmonsd »

2017 when I first set up my online donations settings there was a box to check that said " the ward clerk does not need to know " , I checked it and it worked great.
2018, the same box is checked under settings and the ward financial clerk handed me a paper in Priesthood Meeting with my annual donations
plainly in sight of many people and his eyes & eyebrows perked up in body language...It seems very awkward to get these looks from people
who know nothing of my personal financial situation....Can my personal financial donations be sent to church headquarters in the same
way via ACH credit from my bank account, or how does it work ?
dgrow

Post by dgrow »

I've been paying directly to headquarters since 2013. I had to change bank accounts because of a fraud issue with my old account. I'm having difficulty finding instructions to set up my new account to pay at headquarters. Can you help me?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dgrow wrote:I had to change bank accounts
You will probably need to send your new account information to onlinedonationsupport@ldschurch.org but I would email them first for instructions.

If you are using the regular online Donations site, you will be able to make the change yourself in Settings.
carolhunter777

Post by carolhunter777 »

Is there a phone number I can contact to pay my tithing directly to church headquarters
Carol
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

carolhunter777 wrote:Is there a phone number I can contact to pay my tithing directly to church headquarters
Carol
The only contact information we have for that is the email address onlinedonationsupport@ldschurch.org. I don't know if the domain has changed yet to the new domain.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
orankohe

Post by orankohe »

I have a problem which is very concerning. Someone has set up an account in the same bank as me, who is taking money out regularly from my account using The name “Church of Jesus”. I have been to the bank and they say that is the Church that is deducting the funds because the Church has set it up that way so they can take out the funds to meet tithing correct payment.
1. Is that true and if so can you check it out for me.

[personal information removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information - this is a public form
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

orankohe wrote:I have a problem which is very concerning. Someone has set up an account in the same bank as me, who is taking money out regularly from my account using The name “Church of Jesus”. I have been to the bank and they say that is the Church that is deducting the funds because the Church has set it up that way so they can take out the funds to meet tithing correct payment.
1. Is that true and if so can you check it out for me.
As someone who has experienced fraud in the past, I find the bank's position puzzling. I'd tell the bank that those transactions are not authorized. It's possible that you'll have to close that account and open a different one. If you read the fine print on your bank statement, you may find the process to dispute the transactions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

orankohe wrote:I have a problem which is very concerning. Someone has set up an account in the same bank as me, who is taking money out regularly from my account using The name “Church of Jesus”. I have been to the bank and they say that is the Church that is deducting the funds because the Church has set it up that way so they can take out the funds to meet tithing correct payment.
The Church does not, at least in the United States, have a way to set up automatic recurring payments for tithing. When a person wants to pay tithing, they have to manually log into their Church Account and initiate it as a one-time payment. It's never initiated on the Church's side. This leads me to believe that either 1) Somehow someone else has set up your bank account as their own and is making tithing payments periodically (I would expect this to be hard to do accidentally, and I don't know what benefit someone would get out of doing it on purpose – not to mention the hoops they'd have to jump through to figure out your account number, etc.), or 2) Some sort of fraud is going on, where someone is using the name "Church of Jesus" in an attempt to either pass under the radar, or to cause trouble for the Church (or, who knows, maybe they're trying to imitate any number of general Christian churches in the area whose name starts with "Church of Jesus").
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
orionw

Post by orionw »

I am using my bank's Bill Pay system to make my monthly tithing, fast offerings, and other payments to my ward bishop. I have been doing this for many years.

In a Tech/Forum/Church Technology for Members string from 2016, it says I can contact Church Donations to set up Bill Pay directly to the Church for my donations.

Is that still possible? I am nearly 86 and may forget to make my monthly donations, and I want to avoid sending several checks to the bishop by Bill Pay each month.

Thanks!

Orion Wood
orionw

Post by orionw »

And I see that as of 2019 someone was still doing this at this string (which is where I added my question just above).

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25720&p=227014#p227014

I appreciate the help.

Orion Wood
orionw@pacbell.net

Return to “Local Unit Finance”