Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mdsellers

Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Post by mdsellers »

Is there a way to pay tithing directly to church headquarters? A friend of mine just had his employee called as his bishop and one of the clerks is also an employee. He feels it would be less awkward if he were able to pay directly to the church. Is it possible to set the online payment settings to handle this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, it's possible to donate using the on-line donation system. However, the ward still sees the amounts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Call the Finance department at the church (Just call the operator and they'll transfer you), they will help you with options - It is possible to have those values kept from being transferred to the ward.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
ivan72

Post by ivan72 »

I live in a very economically depressed area, and have feared that my higher than average income could be a "stumbling block" for certain members. I would never want that to happen. My wife and I have sent our tithing directly to Salt Lake HQ for the last 17 years. The local unit and leaders do not see anything, but occasionally raises a few eyebrows as we declare our yearly tithe status. http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Donations_to_C ... adquarters
daveblainebartholomew

Post by daveblainebartholomew »

About 6 months ago, I set up automatice draw from my banking account. What happened. Where is history and record. Please help, thanks. Dave Bartholomew
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

daveblainebartholomew wrote:About 6 months ago, I set up automatice draw from my banking account. What happened. Where is history and record. Please help, thanks. Dave Bartholomew
That depends on what you mean by "automatic draw". Some of the possibilities allow for recurring payments, and others don't.
  • If you used the standard Donations section of LDS.org, then in that part of LDS.org you'll see options for Donation History and Donor Statements. Note that there is no capability for recurring donations here -- you have to go to the Donations section of LDS.org each time you want to make a donation.
  • If you used your bank's Bill Pay to set up donations (which would have required some interaction with the Donations Department of the Church), then you will get monthly statements (and a couple of annual statements) via email. If your bank supports recurring payments (which most do), then it's up to you to either make manual payments whenever you want, or to set up recurring payments.
  • There are other options (such as the direct payment option discussed in this topic), but they are far less commonly used than the two I listed above.
We can give you more detailed help if you would explain how you set up your donations.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

daveblainebartholomew wrote:About 6 months ago, I set up automatice draw from my banking account. What happened. Where is history and record.
If you communicated with the Donations Department as you were setting up bank bill pay, you should be receiving monthly email statements, as aebrown said. And your contributions will be listed at LDS.org Donations under the Donation History tab as "Bill Pay". Set up properly, your bank will be sending a separate draw for each category of contribution, i.e., one for Tithing, another for Fast Offering, etc.

If you set up bank bill pay without the assistance of the Church Donations Department, your contributions are probably sitting at Church headquarters where they have no idea to whom they should be credited. Or worse, they are in a pile of checks that show up each day and need manual processing.
daveblainebartholomew

Post by daveblainebartholomew »

So, ... thanks for that? By the way. I have less than 2 years as a member. Per your suggention. I went to log in. I could not find ... the donations Department, or the Bank Automatic Pay. LDS.org does not show up on my back statement. Background to be considered. I am sadly disabled, living from my car. From a $300 draw each month, I have a $220 income for gas and expenses, which averages approximately minus $40 to $90 each month, on average. BUT still, I need to set up a 10% tithing draw of $23. Plus the Fast Offering; .45 or just 45 cents. As seperate transaction, as you describe above. I need physical help from your honored staff to help me walk throught this process, to set up the account accurate, to be taken out of my account on the 6th day of the month. $23.45 (2 draws) 6th day. Can you help me to do this, or connect me with a honored and trusted staff who can do this for me. Thanks. Dave Bartholomew [phone number removed]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Please be aware that by in large, this forum is just church members like yourself. We're not church employees. Church employees can be identified with a white nametag icon. Please re-read aebrown's message. It contains clues of what might have gone wrong.

If you've been using the on-line donation webpage, you may need to talk to your ward clerk and have them call on your behalf. If you've been using bill pay, then you probably need to email them using the information that was used to establish the billpay.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If you do not mind going to LDS.org Donations each month, that would be the best way to do it. If you would rather set up a repeating bill pay request through your bank, I believe that can also be arranged.

If you go to LDS.org and click on My Account and Ward near the top right, Donations will be in the middle column of the drop down menu.

I would suggest you ask your home teacher or another trusted member of your ward or branch to help you set up your contributions. Also, your ward or branch clerk will know how to do it and will be able to help you. The Forum here is intended to answer your questions as one user to another and users are willing to help in that manner, but it sounds as if you will have better success with someone there to help you work through the process. That person will also be able to help you track down the bank draws that seem to already have take place.

I have deleted your phone number, since this is a public forum where everyone can see everything posted.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”