Anyone still using wirecast?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
daveg123

Re: Anyone still using wirecast?

Post by daveg123 »

I still use Wirecast, in fact it's all I use. Real time video program monitoring, along with an accurate audio meter. Teradek Vidiu has neither. Biggest issue for me is the audio, you're flying blind without a good meter...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

daveg123 wrote:Biggest issue for me is the audio, you're flying blind without a good meter...
I sync the Teradek Vidiu audio indicator with my audio board, then use the audio board as my meter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

daveg123 wrote:I still use Wirecast, in fact it's all I use. Real time video program monitoring, along with an accurate audio meter. Teradek Vidiu has neither. Biggest issue for me is the audio, you're flying blind without a good meter...
That and a graceful audio compressor in Wirecast that you can switch in. I've done my share of listening to signals driven into clipping and it's not pleasant.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's probably the next thing I'd recommend - a gated compressor to put in front of the encoder.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

nephitnauta

Post by nephitnauta »

Hi,
I still use Wirecast Pro. I've purchased the pro version directly from telestream. It works great with The Teradek Vidiu. I live in Tahiti, French Polynesia.
Our stake is spread out on two main islands. For stake conference, webcasting is the most viable option in order to reduce cost and travel. Wirecast Pro has a recording feature.
daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

russellhltn wrote:That's probably the next thing I'd recommend - a gated compressor to put in front of the encoder.
A gated compressor? I wouldn't recommend any gating on program material. Gentle compression, yes. Gating, no...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Maybe we're talking about something different. The gated compressor I worked with had a gate on it's control function. Unlike an ALC which keeps increasing the gain between speakers, the compressor would "hold" at the last setting until the new speaker started talking. There was no gating of the program material.

Digging up the manual for a Shure SE30, the operations guide called it a "gated memory", but the "headline" still called it a gated compressor.

daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

The SE30 is an old broadcast limiter (10:1) some used back in the 1970s for sports and similar events, it later found some favor in a few recording studios as a bit of an audio "mangler." Not sure if you are actually using this unit on your broadcasts, if so there are much better options out there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

daveg123 wrote:The SE30 is an old broadcast limiter (10:1) some used back in the 1970s for sports and similar events, it later found some favor in a few recording studios as a bit of an audio "mangler." Not sure if you are actually using this unit on your broadcasts, if so there are much better options out there.
It's what I knew and something I wouldn't mind to mange the levels. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears. I have been wanting something to manage the volume.

daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

Anything dbx. The 166 and 266 series have many variants that might be an option, all depends on what you want to spend. Lots of used outboard out there...

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”