Remove Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Remove Records

Post by russellhltn »

kenclem1 wrote:The current policies and procedures for removing records are available in the General Handbook 32.14.9 https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e_number88.
Note, that is the procedure for leaving the church and canceling one's membership. I don't think that's what the prior posts were asking.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dennispaulaquino

Re: Members left Ward with no forwarding address.

Post by dennispaulaquino »

I recently was called to be the membership clerk in my Ward. Going through membership list I noticed members still on list that are no longer in our area. My goal is to purge our records to reflect our true numbers. I've try seacrching on the following sites like Intelius, PeopleWhiz, and Truth Finder. I have found some of them but there are few that this search mecca have no records. What should I do with these records? If you could please notify me when a reply is posted or email me at dpaquino@yahoo.com. Mahalo for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dennispaulaquino wrote:Going through membership list I noticed members still on list that are no longer in our area. My goal is to purge our records to reflect our true numbers.
Somewhere should be a list of steps necessary to make sure they're not findable with ward resources. Once done, they can be moved to the "Address Unknown" file. While you can do some of the steps, I'd strongly suggest you enlist the help of the ward council, in particular the EQ and RS to see if anyone has any information.

Also, be advised that once sent out, they'll return in about 6 months. When that happens, ask the ward council again if there's any updates and if not, send them back out. Be sure to keep the notes from the first time so you're not driving yourself crazy when they come back.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Somewhere should be a list of steps necessary to make sure they're not findable with ward resources.
If you start to move the records and indicate that the new address is unknown then it should show this list. It's also on this help center page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... t?lang=eng

Note that it does not mention using online people finding sites. There is no mention of why but my guess is because they are often inaccurate. If you move records based on incorrect information from one of those sites you may just make headaches for another ward who will have even less information about the person than your ward does.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I've received a few membership records in error from other clerks who used questionable people-finding sites, such as familytreenow and others. So I just did my own research and forwarded the records appropriately. In a perfect world, the ward council would help by doing some of the legwork.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Note that it does not mention using online people finding sites.
The church may well be doing that on their end.

But the resources Church Headquarters doesn't have is "boots on the ground" that can visit their residence, or knowing who their friends were in the ward. Those would be the things I'd focus on.

pboman

Post by pboman »

How do you remove a duplicate if there are two?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

pboman wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:07 pm How do you remove a duplicate if there are two?
When there are duplicates the records are merged. The tool is found in LCR > Membership > Merge Duplicate Records. Using this tool does not automatically merge the records but is rather a request for headquarters to merge the records. For more information see Merge Duplicate Records
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”