Need Access to Indexing Reports

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
ajellis

Need Access to Indexing Reports

Post by ajellis »

Hi - I'm hoping someone from headquarters will see this and can help resolve an issue I'm having. I've been serving as the Indexing Director for my ward and things were fine until my stake was divided in August. I was thinking there could be a glitch while the reports were separated and access would be down temporarily but after waiting some time, I called the support line and was told our new stake indexing director could give me access. I relayed this information to her but she is under the impression that she can't. She has finally started sending me a bit of info but it's not all that I need or when I need it. Is there a reason why someone in every unit wouldn't be given admin rites again at this point? There are a number of reasons why this info is good to have and it would be simpler for everyone if we didn't have to rely on someone else to get it. There's obviously a misunderstanding somewhere but even if the reports are still being cleaned up, I'd prefer to work with imperfect reports than none at all. Just trying to magnify my calling and not the work. Thanks for any help (or access!) you can give me -
Andrea Ellis (might still be under maiden name - Wilcox)
Stafford VA Stake - White Oak Ward
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Need Access to Indexing Reports

Post by aebrown »

ajellis wrote:Hi - I'm hoping someone from headquarters will see this and can help resolve an issue I'm having.
That's highly unlikely, since this is a user-to-user support forum.
ajellis wrote:...I called the support line and was told our new stake indexing director could give me access. I relayed this information to her but she is under the impression that she can't.
It sounds to me like the new stake indexing director needs to call FamilySearch Support and learn how to grant access to indexing reports.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It is possible for a stake administrator for indexing (usually the stake indexing director) to grant access to any other member of the stake as an administrator. However, in addition to being unsure how to grant access, it's possible your stake indexing director doesn't feel that it's appropriate for ward indexing leaders to have access. This would be a stake-level policy decision. A reason to not grant access is that you will be able to see the names and statistics for all the indexers in your stake (with the current system there's no way to limit access to a single ward). From what I understand, ward-level reports will be available to ward leaders with the new browser-based indexing tool coming out soon. But for now, the system only offers stake-wide reports, and by default limits them to stake leaders.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ajellis

Post by ajellis »

aebrown wrote:
ajellis wrote:Hi - I'm hoping someone from headquarters will see this and can help resolve an issue I'm having.
That's highly unlikely, since this is a user-to-user support forum.
ajellis wrote:...I called the support line and was told our new stake indexing director could give me access. I relayed this information to her but she is under the impression that she can't.
It sounds to me like the new stake indexing director needs to call FamilySearch Support and learn how to grant access to indexing reports.
Well, as the saying goes - it never hurts to ask.
I think the issue is that she feels she's not allowed for some reason.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ajellis wrote:I think the issue is that she feels she's not allowed for some reason.
That's an issue you have to work out with your stake indexing leadership. No one at FamilySearch Support is going to override your stake leadership's choices as to who has permission to see the stake reports.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It sounds like the underlying issue is that "Ward indexing director" is NOT a standard calling. In this case, there is some leeway for the stake to grant access, but it seems the new stake may not be ok with that.

I think the bishop needs to have a chat with the stake president and come to an agreement about this position.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:It sounds like the underlying issue is . . .
In the current indexing system, you are an indexer, an arbitrator, or an administrator. Indexers and arbitrators can index, and arbitrators can arbitrate.

An administrator can do anything at the stake level, including grant permissions, review reports, review and update contact information and performance reports about every indexer assigned to the stake, and send indexers off into oblivion if they believe they do not belong on the stake list. (Actually, they go into a general pool to be assigned to a different stake.) Normally a stake has one or two administrators.

In the original post, it appears that the previous stake may have granted administrative privileges to some of the ward indexers, but in doing so they were granting entire stake privileges to those individuals. I sense that the new stake is not ready to do that. Under the current indexing program, an administrator is an administrator for the entire stake. There are no restrictions.

Our stake administrator provides regular reports to wards that request them. As sbradshaw said, it is believed that ward level access to ward-level reports will be available under the new system. But for now, it is all or nothing if the new stake grants administrator privileges to someone with a ward responsibility.
l0r1n

Post by l0r1n »

I live in a newly created stake. No one has access to the Indexing Director role or the Group Admin. How do we give someone access?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

l0r1n wrote:I live in a newly created stake. No one has access to the Indexing Director role or the Group Admin. How do we give someone access?
A member of the stake presidency can call the Family History Department and let them know who the Administrator should be. That person will then be able to give further access to Arbitrators and, if desired, to another Administrator.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

l0r1n wrote:I live in a newly created stake. No one has access to the Indexing Director role or the Group Admin. How do we give someone access?
Someone will need to be put into the calling "Stake Temple and Family History Consultant" or "Stake Temple and Family History Consultant—Indexing" on Leader and Clerk Resources. That should give the access needed.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”