Separated Wife and Children - Ordering Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lgrobbins-p40
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 am
Location: Papillion, Nebraska USA

Separated Wife and Children - Ordering Records

#1

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

I have a Sister and her two daughters who have moved into our ward. She is legally seperated from her husband who is a member. How do I order her records and the two daughters from the other ward where he is the head of house to make her the head of house with the two daughters residing with her?
jbh001
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

#2

Post by jbh001 »

Use the Request Individual Record function to get the mom's record, Then after her record has arrived, use the same feature to request each of the children into her household.

That's one way to do it.
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#3

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:Use the Request Individual Record function to get the mom's record, Then after her record has arrived, use the same feature to request each of the children into her household.

That's one way to do it.
Yeah, I can't think of any other way to do it...except of course requesting all three individually at the same time and then correcting the household grouping after the fact.
User avatar
fergie34-p40
New Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Mastic, New York

#4

Post by fergie34-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:Yeah, I can't think of any other way to do it...except of course requesting all three individually at the same time and then correcting the household grouping after the fact.

You can request the family's records. Then send back the husband's record and make the wife the head of the household. But if you do it this way you will need to have the husband's unit and address information.
Robert Ferguson
South Shore Ward, Plainview New York Stake
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15127
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#5

Post by aebrown »

fergie34 wrote:You can request the family's records. Then send back the husband's record and make the wife the head of the household. But if you do it this way you will need to have the husband's unit and address information.

Well, that will work but it seems inconsiderate and a bit lazy. You will raise concerns in the other ward and cause work for their clerks when the husband's record disappears, and then reappears shortly thereafter. I would recommend that you just request the three records. It's not much harder and is nicer to the other ward.
jwtaber
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 8:01 am
Location: Elsmere, Delaware, USA

#6

Post by jwtaber »

Alan_Brown wrote:Well, that will work but it seems inconsiderate and a bit lazy. You will raise concerns in the other ward and cause work for their clerks when the husband's record disappears, and then reappears shortly thereafter. I would recommend that you just request the three records. It's not much harder and is nicer to the other ward.
I was just tracking down an address once for a husband who had left, for the purpose of sending his record out, when his new ward made a request for the family. So I requested the wife back individually right away.
jbh001
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

#7

Post by jbh001 »

fergie34 wrote:You can request the family's records. Then send back the husband's record and make the wife the head of the household. But if you do it this way you will need to have the husband's unit and address information.
Not a good idea even though it is doable, because by requesting the husband's record, the other unit's MLS automatically deletes him from any callings and home teaching routes. There's more for the other unit to fix than just the address and phone number.
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#8

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:...because by requesting the husband's record, the other unit's MLS automatically deletes him from any callings and home teaching routes. There's more for the other unit to fix than just the address and phone number.
Excellent point! I knew deep-down somehow that it was more than just impolite. I think you hit the nail right on the head. It could really be a hassle and rude annoyance for the other unit to have to clean up the mess.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31333
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#9

Post by russellhltn »

Furthermore, the other unit may order him back and in doing so may end up requesting the whole family. Or maybe cause someone to ask "Why are you here? I thought you went back?"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10359
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#10

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:. . . the other unit's MLS automatically deletes him from any callings and home teaching routes. There's more for the other unit to fix than just the address and phone number.
And the unit history would be wrong, as well. No one knows from my membership record when I moved into my current ward and where I came from, because a clerk at a Church school moved our entire family out instead of just one of our children.

So now my membership record says that my wife and I and all of our wonderful children moved here several years ago from a student singles ward with a really big number. Being married with children at the time, I would never have qualified to live in that singles ward in the first place.
Post Reply

Return to “Membership Help”