Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 4.0 for Android is now live on the Google Play store.

Here are some of the changes:
* All content is now annotatable, including lists, chapter headings, hymns, etc.
* Added in-app training through video "Tips" and “What’s New.”
* Choose between male and female voice audio recordings for English scriptures.
* Redesigned the audio playback experience.
* Redesigned related content sidebar for easier viewing of footnotes.
* Redesigned bookmarks, screens, and history management.
* Redesigned “Notes” experience (Notebooks, Tags, Recent).
* Added rich text formatting to notes (bold, italics, lists).
* Redesigned experience for creating user-created linking, including making links bi-directional.
* Four color themes in Settings.
* Provided access to calling-specific resources, like Handbook 1.
* On Android 5+ you can show screens as separate windows in the Android overview.
* On Android 7+ you can run Gospel Library side-by-side (split screen) with another app or with another Gospel Library screen.

A lot of things were moved around with this release. Feel free to ask any questions!
Last edited by sbradshaw on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by russellhltn »

Off hand, do you know how to force the Play Store app to refresh? Mine seems to be pulling cached info.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:Off hand, do you know how to force the Play Store app to refresh? Mine seems to be pulling cached info.
You could try force closing Google Play (swipe it out of the Android overview screen), then reopening. It's possible that the app could take some time to propagate to various servers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

And will it just show up automatically on my device, if I do not do anything?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:And will it just show up automatically on my device, if I do not do anything?
If you've got auto-update turned on, it will (eventually) update itself automatically.

sbradshaw wrote:You could try force closing Google Play (swipe it out of the Android overview screen), then reopening. It's possible that the app could take some time to propagate to various servers.
Tried that - didn't work.

I figured out how to force the update. Open the Play Store to "All" apps and then search for Gospel Library. At that point, you'll be given the option to update (instead of install). I had been searching under "My apps".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How do I get Handbook 1 to show up? I updated GL. I look at settings and see my account listed. It's done a sync. But I don't see Handbook 1 where I'd expect to see it (next to Handbook 2 under Leadership). I do have access to Handbook 1 via the Help Center on lds.org using the same LDS Account.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:How do I get Handbook 1 to show up? I updated GL. I look at settings and see my account listed. It's done a sync. But I don't see Handbook 1 where I'd expect to see it (next to Handbook 2 under Leadership). I do have access to Handbook 1 via the Help Center on lds.org using the same LDS Account.
Yes, you are looking in the right place. Are you connected to the internet? Maybe it hasn't had a chance to download it since you signed in (the role-based content download is kicked off separately from the annotations sync). How about closing and reopening the app?

Can anyone else with a bishopric/presidency role confirm whether they're able to see Handbook 1? I'm able to see it as a stake assistant clerk, but my account isn't completely in the "real world" because of my Gospel Library QA responsibilities.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Are you connected to the internet?
This is on my phone. I have the LTE indicator. Under settings, "Limit Mobile Network Use" is gray (off). I'm able to sync.

It's possible that the upgrade didn't go smoothly. The icon disappeared off my home page, but didn't not reappear. I had to manually add it.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:It's possible that the upgrade didn't go smoothly. The icon disappeared off my home page, but didn't not reappear. I had to manually add it.
Mine updated automatically within the last hour. But my icon disappeared as well. Maybe something to do with the major version update.

I just watched it download files. One of the files was 'Gospel Library Catalog - local-leader'. Now I show Handbook 1 under the Leadership and it just downloaded without a problem.

I don't see a menu option to re-download the catalog but swiping downward on the catalog screen shows a refresh indicator so you might try that. Or maybe you could sign out and sign back in.

Or maybe the access rights to match lds.org for some reason. I'm a Ward Assistant Clerk - Finance and Ward Assistant Clerk.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:I don't see a menu option to re-download the catalog but swiping downward on the catalog screen shows a refresh indicator so you might try that.
Tried that.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”