Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Library Downloaded Audio File Location

Post by sbradshaw »

nclhowell wrote:I used a Galaxy S5 running Android v6.01 with Gospel Library v3.2.13.0... I prefer to add conference talks one month at a time in a folder using my preferred music player... I would move the audio files from android/data/org.lds.ldssa/file/1/media to /music and everything worked fine.

I replaced my phone with another Galaxy S5 running the same Android v6.01.... I installed Gospel Library v4.0.4.2... I have searched and cannot find the downloaded audio files anywhere.... Where are the Conference Audio Files located in Gospel Library v4.0.4.2 ?
Audio files are stored as private app data. Android doesn't let you access app data unless your device is rooted. This keeps media playback in Gospel Library stable and reliable for most users. If you listen to audio outside of Gospel Library, I wouldn't recommend downloading the audio through Gospel Library – it's not designed for that. Instead, you can download the audio from LDS.org/general-conference.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
nclhowell

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by nclhowell »

Thanks sbradshaw...

The ability to bulk download the entire conference audio in a batch was key, plus being able to download directly to the same device and simply move the files from the default download directory straight into the /music location was efficient. Hiding audio files from the end user is ridiculous. I will either find the previous version of Gospel Library or download using my PC and transferring to the SD card on the phone.

Thanks for the info and your expertise though.... all questions were answered thoroughly!

nclhowell
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You're welcome! You can download all of the audio for each session as a .zip file from LDS.org, by tapping on the "..." button to the right of each session's name, on the page linked above, then choosing "Talks and Music." Also, you should be able to download the .zip files directly to your phone, using your phone's web browser – no need to go through your PC.
joachimvalgren

Post by joachimvalgren »

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but has the "Download all" option been removed? I regularly have to re-download everything in the app (scriptures, books, magazines, etc) and I miss the ability to easily download everything in one go. I currently have to select each category and select Download all for them and it takes a while to complete.
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

No, it's still there. Click on the 3 dots at the right-hand end of the bar directly below the language, and "Download All" will be the first menu item.
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

joachimvalgren wrote:I regularly have to re-download everything in the app (scriptures, books, magazines, etc) and I miss the ability to easily download everything in one go.
It sounds like you're running into a bug if you have to regularly re-download all of your content. I'd suggest sending in-app feedback to the support team to see if they can help get it fixed.
rrichey4430

Post by rrichey4430 »

You were far too kind in your assessment of the feature set change. The wonderful 3.x app has morphed into something largely unusable for all the reasons you listed above. In addition, the performance has taken a significant hit. Startup is slow, etc. So after a single day of use, I reverted to the previous 3.x version (using some links I found here in the forums). So if anyone is reading who is on the development team, please just revert your production release to the 3.x tree, and go back to the drawing board. The Android users will breathe a collective sigh of relief.
pearsongregoryscott1

Post by pearsongregoryscott1 »

When I have highlighted a passage, how do I change or remove the highlight? In the old version, I could touch an icon on the right, and it would open the highlight and notes for that passage. I don't see such an icon now, and when I touch the highlighted passage, it gives me an opportunity to highlight on top, but not change the existing highlight.
tgoodman02

Post by tgoodman02 »

namsden wrote:Did text to speech go away for audio playback? I'm forced to stream or download. Sometimes I don't want to do either or can't.
I have this same issue. I need text to speech. I was forced to uninstall 4.0 and reinstall an older version of gospelare library app. Need it back please!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

pearsongregoryscott1 wrote:When I have highlighted a passage, how do I change or remove the highlight? In the old version, I could touch an icon on the right, and it would open the highlight and notes for that passage. I don't see such an icon now, and when I touch the highlighted passage, it gives me an opportunity to highlight on top, but not change the existing highlight.
To modify a highlight, tap on the highlight itself. If you hold for more than a second, it will begin a new highlight, but if you just quickly tap without resting your finger on the screen, the current highlight will be selected, and you can resize or delete it.

If you have created several highlights on top of each other by accident, you may need to repeat a few times to delete the overlapping highlights.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”