Voice for audio Book of Mormon

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
jbbroderick

Re: Voice for audio Book of Mormon

Post by jbbroderick »

I'm not sure if this is what people are complaining about, because I never listened to the scriptures on a smart device until now...
But if you're using text-to-speech, it sounds robotic because it IS robotic. That option generates the voice using software created by either google or apple, and has not been specially adapted for the scriptures in any way. I don't know how I did it, but I messed with options until I was able to get the significantly-less-robotic-sounding male voice.
There are three dots in the top right of both the main screen and the audio control bar along the bottom. Try messing with the audio control one, and perhaps the "enable obsolete content" of the main settings. I don't know exactly what it does, but it may be that it enables the older voice... ?? maybe?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library for iOS doesn't currently have complete text-to-speech integration like Gospel Library for Android does. In Gospel Library for Android, you can choose "Text-to-speech" as your preferred voice under audio settings (Male / Female / Text-to-speech). Gospel Library for Android will also fall back on text-to-speech automatically if:
1) The content you're viewing doesn't have an audio recording (a few places in English, like Handbook 1 or brand-new content, but more common in other languages),
2) You have "Limit Mobile Network Use" turned on in settings, you're using cellular data, and you don't have the recordings pre-downloaded, or
3) You're completely offline (no Wi-Fi or cellular data) and you don't have the recordings pre-downloaded.

In Gospel Library for iOS, you can get a more limited version of text-to-speech by turning on "Speak Selection" in iOS accessibility settings, then selecting text in Gospel Library and pressing "Speak" (it's not set up for reading a full chapter and doesn't go through the regular audio controls).

Enable/Show Obsolete Content has to do with showing manuals in the library that aren't part of the current year's curriculum, and won't affect audio playback.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
orcl

Post by orcl »

I thought the previous female voice, that was used only to narrate the chapter introductions, was the nicest, most listenable female speaking voice I've ever heard anywhere. I've often wished they would let this voice actress narrate the actual scriptures so we could choose. When I saw in the new version that we could choose the female voice, I was very psyched - until I heard it and quickly realized that it's not the same voice actress. To me, it's terrible to listen to - she even speaks with a lisp - and listening to it is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. What I wonder is, who made the decision to go from a wonderful, soothing female voice to a voice that is so incredibly annoying that it's all I can do to get through a chapter? Is it one of the employees who wants to break into voice acting, or maybe someone's aunt? The difference between the previous voice that was so beautiful and the current one could not be more stark, and I'm very disappointed.
reeseulalann

Post by reeseulalann »

Please change voice for IOS! Please change back to previous voice options. The older people in my ward with hearing and sight issues, who have listened to the older version voices will NOT listen to these robotic voices!!!

Ear
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The old recordings are still available for download at MediaLibrary.LDS.org. However, they will be going away eventually, as they were recorded using an older edition of the scriptures.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
matimusking

Post by matimusking »

It's bad. When we have the resources to provide every main spoken language a decent audio version we should. This shouldn't be about saving time or money it should be about providing members with an audio verision of The Book of Mormon that will encourage study and won't distract from the Spirit. I personally can't listen to the new audio versions male or female so ultimately I am spending less time with the book which is a shame.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

There was a talk given recently, I believe maybe in the April 2017 General Conference, where the speaker said something to the effect of, "Let your children hear you reading from The Book Of Mormon." Does anyone remember hearing this, and who it was? One of my kids mentioned it while we were reading scriptures a couple months ago, and it got me to thinking. I'd like to record myself reading The Book of Mormon for them, so that they will have it even after I'm long gone. I got a late start, so doubt I'll have it completed by Christmas, but I think I'll give them what I have done at that time and let them know the rest is yet to come.
tdedelow

Post by tdedelow »

I'm so glad I'm not alone. The new voice sounds like he's taking while yawning the whole time and he puts me to sleep. I've literally stopped listing to the scriptures since they changed it like 12 months ago. Recently I downloaded a new app simply called" The Book of Mormon" with the dark blue cover page as their image, which has the two old guy voices. Finally, the scriptures sound comforting and with "emotion" again. Like Grandpa is reading me a story that I just can't wait to hear what happens next, even though I've heard it a dozen times.
r36_9346

Post by r36_9346 »

sbradshaw wrote:The old recordings are still available for download at MediaLibrary.LDS.org. However, they will be going away eventually, as they were recorded using an older edition of the scriptures.
This is what I use. I prefer them split by book (1 Nephi, 2 Nephi, Jacob, etc.) over chapter or in two parts (1 Nephi to Mosiah, Alma to Moroni). By chapter there are simply too many files to manage, and the much larger two part version doesn't work well with my older iPods, which I use from time to time.

But what I do is load them on my listening device as audiobooks. Then, on my iPhone I can access them in my Books app as audiobooks. Then I can pop into Gospel Library to read along. I find that even in the older version, I tend to have the playback speed at 1.25× (or even 1.5× for the longer chapters) so the audio can keep up with my reading speed.
As for the old versus new, listen to chapters like Jacob 7 or Alma 30, and compare the reading of those. The newer recordings lack something that the older version has.
shelbyterry

Post by shelbyterry »

We liked Bruce Lindsay and the other guy better as well. The new voice Sounds like Lloyd K Newel in robotic form. I purchased a different APP, it is called LDScripture.com it has the old voices:)

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”