LUWS switching to LDS Account

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Tyler, on the new beta login page, is there a way that the link that says "Obtain an LDS Account" could be modified to first ask for your old LUWS credentials (if you have one) before taking you straight to the LDS Account registration page?

While I think most people will attempt to enter their old LUWS credentials automatically without gathering the fact that it is a new credentials system, I think there will be some that will click that "Obtain an LDS Account" link without trying to login with their old credentials first. I would hate for those people who are a little more observant to not get the benefit of pre-filled in fields on the LDS Account Registration page. Does that make sense what I am proposing?

Thanks.
gregneg

Eek --- joint presentation tomorrow

Post by gregneg »

I signed up a member of my household under the beta. LUWS does not accept her log-on directly. If I take the alternative (and somewhat obscure) alternative log-on route, she can get in.

Meanwhile --- in an attempt to subscribe her directly to LUWS, I get sent to the LDS Account registration form --- which will not accept the registration, because it's already done. :eek:

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to make a joint meeting slide presentation to the ward members about the benefits and ease :rolleyes: of using LUWS --- and how to "sign up".

Is my timing off, or what? (Man I hate transition periods!) :o

Any suggestions for last-minute regrouping? (or for those working on the project --- is this log-on thing going to be fixed in the immediate future -- as in the next 48 hours or so?)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tested out the ability to determine my LDSAccount ID and to change the password. I was successful. However, I noticed that I must have access to the old email account to do so. This is both good and bad as I was able to get in without re-entering my record number and confirmation date, but likewise my account could be compromised if my email was compromised. Also I could be up the proverbial creak if I lost my email account. (I didn't try registering for a new account - that might allow me to work around that.)

My LDSAccount wouldn't let me in via the usual LUWS login page, but worked on the beta login

The system recognized my Admin access and allowed me to go in under admin mode.

When I looked at the list of registered users, I only saw my LUWS login. I'm guessing that LUWS is still using it's own login, but something is mapping LDSAccount to LUWS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderj1 wrote:Any suggestions for last-minute regrouping?
If I were in your shoes, I'd forget about LDSAccess right now (at least this week) and go though the LUWS-only login. Note the message elsewhere that suggests that password changes are not working and warn them about that.

Do tell them that things are in transition right now. I'd put less stress on the sign-up and more on the benefits. That's not going to change in the immediate future.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderj1 wrote:Any suggestions for last-minute regrouping? (or for those working on the project --- is this log-on thing going to be fixed in the immediate future -- as in the next 48 hours or so?)
Here's what seems to be the score for the moment:

LUWS login screen is the easy one to get to, but you can't change the password of a LUWS account. It's unclear if any new LUWS accounts are allowed.

The LDS Account does work, and new ones can be created and is the future. But the login screen is a little tricky to get to.

Unless you can test and verify that new LUWS accounts can be created, I wouldn't suggest that route.

dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

elderj1 wrote:I signed up a member of my household under the beta. LUWS does not accept her log-on directly. If I take the alternative (and somewhat obscure) alternative log-on route, she can get in.

Meanwhile --- in an attempt to subscribe her directly to LUWS, I get sent to the LDS Account registration form --- which will not accept the registration, because it's already done. :eek:

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to make a joint meeting slide presentation to the ward members about the benefits and ease :rolleyes: of using LUWS --- and how to "sign up".

Is my timing off, or what? (Man I hate transition periods!) :o

Any suggestions for last-minute regrouping? (or for those working on the project --- is this log-on thing going to be fixed in the immediate future -- as in the next 48 hours or so?)
You can still register users using the old sign-in screen without any trouble. I just tried this with the help of a ward member.

Did you use the old registration method (i.e., click obtain an account)? Or, did you go to the beta screen and obtain an account? I think I can understand the issue if you registered under the beta sign in screen. The LUWS is not going to accept the LDS Account credentials, so users will have an error when they attempt to login and then they will need to click the beta login link.

I would suggest for your training that you use the current (i.e., old) login/registration setup.

Thanks,
Dennis
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

elderj1 wrote:I signed up a member of my household under the beta. LUWS does not accept her log-on directly. If I take the alternative (and somewhat obscure) alternative log-on route, she can get in.

A ward member reported great difficulty last week to me when she signed up for the LUWS. I know that she had an LDS Account already activated. I don't know the entire process that she went through, but she may have been required to match passwords and e-mail addresses with the LDS Account when she created the LUWS account. Unfortunately, I did not witness exactly what happened, but she said she had to go through several screens. I'm wondering now if this is a test case that has not been covered in the beta.

Thanks,
Dennis
gregneg

beta registration steps on LUWS registration

Post by gregneg »

dmaynes wrote:You can still register users using the old sign-in screen without any trouble. I just tried this with the help of a ward member.

Did you use the old registration method (i.e., click obtain an account)? Or, did you go to the beta screen and obtain an account? I think I can understand the issue if you registered under the beta sign in screen. The LUWS is not going to accept the LDS Account credentials, so users will have an error when they attempt to login and then they will need to click the beta login link.

I would suggest for your training that you use the current (i.e., old) login/registration setup.

Thanks,
Dennis
I will take your suggestion about *not* presenting the beta registration at this time.

Things are changing -- clicking on "Obtain a ward Web site account"

gets you the registration page for these: ;) ---- and apparently the earlier beta registration has stepped on it.

Church Educational System
Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders
Employment Resource Database
Missionary Recommendation System
Perpetual Education Fund
Stake and Ward Web Sites
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

elderj1 wrote:Things are changing -- clicking on "Obtain a ward Web site account"

gets you the registration page for these: ;) ---- and apparently the earlier beta registration has stepped on it.

Church Educational System
Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders
Employment Resource Database
Missionary Recommendation System
Perpetual Education Fund
Stake and Ward Web Sites

How is that different? The account that has been used for LUWS since the beginning is also used for those other systems. Are you saying that this is a change? It looks pretty familiar to me for the old account system.
gregneg

Alan Brown, difference

Post by gregneg »

Alan_Brown wrote:How is that different?
The beta registration interfering with LUWS log-on/registration ---- :p

See post #41, second paragraph

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”