LUWS switching to LDS Account

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Tyler wrote:This feature should be working again if you could try the missionary experiences. As a part of this beta release, there will be some residual errors. They are all being logged, and we should have them fixed shortly after they show up. Thanks for all the information this thread is offering us!
None of the missionary features for missionaries serving in the ward seem to be working for me:
  1. Changing the name of a missionary gives a message: "The companionship has been updated." but the change is not actually made.
  2. Adding a missionary companionship has no effect.
  3. Deleting a missionary companionship has no effect.
But I did note that the features for missionaries serving from the ward were failing in similar ways last night, but they are working properly now. Thanks for your efforts to fix them, and particularly for the communication -- it is very helpful!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dmaynes wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have been working diligently for four months. We started with 62 registered members four months ago. As of today, I have 95 registered members. It takes about 4 or 5 contacts with a member before they seriously think about registering. I probably spend one hour, on average, in order to get one account registered. I have several members who won't update their e-mail addresses. It is very difficult. I would not welcome starting over with just a few registered members.
The only real problem for the users is probably the registration page of LDSAccount where they would have to enter their membership number and their confirmation date again. This was the pain point for the LUWS registration in the first place and I can understand the pain of going through that again.

I have an idea I just thought of. I'd like to ask some Church Developer feedback on this idea, as it seems very doable. Here it is...

What if when you login with your old LUWS credentials on the new beta login, it takes you to a page summarizing the purpose of the new LDSAccount credential system and says that the user must make a new account to replace their old account. Then, because the user has given valid old LUWS credentials, it brings up the LDSAccount registration but with membership number and confirmation date already populated because they are validated under the new system.

I believe this would take out the real pain point of registering with these Church credential systems, by playing off of the fact that the user has already entered this information once before. I don't think you really need to populate any other fields but those two critical ones.

However, it would be nice if you could also give some guidance on username selection as well, like informing them if their current old LUWS username is available in the new system. And then giving them the option of picking a new one if they want or to use the same one. In my opinion, this wouldn't be critical, but would be very helpful.

In summary, I think many of us can admit the registration process for both systems (old LUWS and new LDSAccount) are a tad painful. It certainly is understandable why there is so much validation and security around obtaining one of these accounts. But again, I would think the Church could improve the user experience by leveraging the fact that you have asked the users once before about this same information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Tyler wrote:As a part of this beta release, there will be some residual errors. They are all being logged, and we should have them fixed shortly after they show up. Thanks for all the information this thread is offering us!
I'm seeing another problem in the area of Lesson Schedules. At the stake level, we have entered all of our Priesthood / Relief Society lessons. When I entered those a couple of months ago, I'm pretty sure that as I edited an existing lesson for a particular week, the popup would reflect the current setting (either have the lesson selected, or in the "Other" text box the description of the Other lesson would be displayed).

But now when I click the Change button for any particular week, the popup box always has the "Select a Lesson" radio button selected, and no lesson is selected. The "Other" text box is always blank. This is true whether I am changing a week with a JS lesson selected, or a week that has an Other lesson (such as "Stake Conference" or "Bishop's Instruction").

I'm guessing this is another one of those "residual errors."
DaltonTM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by DaltonTM »

You have summarized exactly what we are doing when you said:

"What if when you login with your old LUWS credentials on the new beta login, it takes you to a page summarizing the purpose of the new LDSAccount credential system and says that the user must make a new account to replace their old account. Then, because the user has given valid old LUWS credentials, it brings up the LDSAccount registration but with membership number and confirmation date already populated because they are validated under the new system."

On the beta page, when you enter your LUWS credentials, it will pre-fill in the MRN and Confirm Date, and pop up a window that says "is this you", and have your name. From there, it is just minor data that needs to be entered. The migration process from old LUWS credentials to LDSAccount should be very easy.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:What if when you login with your old LUWS credentials on the new beta login, it takes you to a page summarizing the purpose of the new LDSAccount credential system and says that the user must make a new account to replace their old account. Then, because the user has given valid old LUWS credentials, it brings up the LDSAccount registration but with membership number and confirmation date already populated because they are validated under the new system.

I believe this would take out the real pain point of registering with these Church credential systems, by playing off of the fact that the user has already entered this information once before. I don't think you really need to populate any other fields but those two critical ones.

However, it would be nice if you could also give some guidance on username selection as well, like informing them if their current old LUWS username is available in the new system. And then giving them the option of picking a new one if they want or to use the same one. In my opinion, this wouldn't be critical, but would be very helpful.
Excellent idea! That reduces the transition pain from a significant problem to a minor annoyance.

And what's really good about the idea, is that it's already done, right down to checking the availability of the username. It even suggests alternate available names.

Well done!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Tyler wrote:On the beta page, when you enter your LUWS credentials, it will pre-fill in the MRN and Confirm Date, and pop up a window that says "is this you", and have your name. From there, it is just minor data that needs to be entered. The migration process from old LUWS credentials to LDSAccount should be very easy.
Terrific! Sorry, I didn't see that functionality when I tried out the beta login page, as I've had an LDSAccount login for a while because of the Community Development projects.

I think this solution should allay all of dmaynes' fears. It should be a simple enough transition that should be easily handled by most users without the help of your local Ward Website Administrator or Ward Clerk.
DaltonTM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Companionships in ward working

Post by DaltonTM »

Alan_Brown wrote:None of the missionary features for missionaries serving in the ward seem to be working for me:
  1. Changing the name of a missionary gives a message: "The companionship has been updated." but the change is not actually made.
  2. Adding a missionary companionship has no effect.
  3. Deleting a missionary companionship has no effect.
But I did note that the features for missionaries serving from the ward were failing in similar ways last night, but they are working properly now. Thanks for your efforts to fix them, and particularly for the communication -- it is very helpful!
These scenarios should all now be working.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

OK, but have you any news for international Church members???
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Tyler wrote:These scenarios should all now be working.
Indeed, they are all working. Thanks!
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

The link is working. I used it just a few minutes ago. I don't see anything about it being a beta site, but I do notice that the screens process much faster. That is a welcome relief!!

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”