Are priests quorum assistants released automatically when bishop is released?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
nikk3hi3tala

Are priests quorum assistants released automatically when bishop is released?

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

The Handbook 2 says (19.5):
When a president, bishop, or high priests group leader is released, the counselors or assistants are released automatically. Others who hold positions in the organization, such as clerks, secretaries, and teachers, are not released automatically.
Based on this, I would assume that if a bishop (who is the Priests Quorum President) is released, then the Priest Quorum Assistants are also automatically released.
In LCR, if you release an auxiliary president, the counselors are released automatically. However, if a bishop is released, the Priest Quorum Assistants are not automatically released. Is there a reason for that? I can't find anything in the Handbook, that would say that they are an exception to the rule.

(I can't remember if the counselors in the bishopric were automatically released either. I do remember that even though it is the stake clerk who records the releasing of the old bishop and the calling of the new, it is the ward clerk who records the new counselors.)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Are priests quorum assistants released automatically when bishop is released?

Post by jonesrk »

They are setup to be released automatically, but there might be a bug, since the priest's quorum president is managed automatically as the bishop changes, that might not follow the same code path as the other callings, I'll have to look into it.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Are priests quorum assistants released automatically when bishop is released?

Post by jonesrk »

nikk3hi3tala wrote: (I can't remember if the counselors in the bishopric were automatically released either. I do remember that even though it is the stake clerk who records the releasing of the old bishop and the calling of the new, it is the ward clerk who records the new counselors.)
The counselors in the bishopric are automatically released (and that works).

The interesting thing here is because there are two different people doing it, you may not see it. For example if the ward clerk goes in first and replaces the counselors, then when the stake clerk releases the bishop the system is smart enough to see that the new counselors were sustained 'after' the bishop was released and not release them.

However if the stake clerk goes in first and changes the bishop then when the ward clerk goes in the counselor positions will be vacant because they were auto-released with the bishop.
khsiung

Post by khsiung »

In the current handbook 19.5
“ When a president or bishop is released, the counselors are released automatically. Others who hold positions in the organization, such as clerks, secretaries, and teachers, are not released automatically.”
Doesn’t mention the priest quorum assistants need to release,
so are priests quorum assistants release automatically when the bishop is released?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

khsiung wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:52 am In the current handbook 19.5
That was in the old two-part Handbook. In the current Handbook, it's 30.4.

The current Handbook no longer mentions "assistants".

I'll invoke Handbook 0.4:
If leaders have questions about information in this handbook or about issues it does not address, they counsel with their immediate presiding authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Rgudgell

Post by Rgudgell »

Now in tools when a bishop is released his assistants are too.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Rgudgell wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:25 am Now in tools when a bishop is released his assistants are too.
See the two posts just before your post.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ChiefSadler

Post by ChiefSadler »

When I was a counsellor, my bishop was released suddenly. Because it takes a few months for a new bishop to be called (its usually known and they have time), in our case, myself and the counsellor continued to work as co-leaders including doing all tithing interviews.
peparsons

Post by peparsons »

This is how I understand it. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will let me know.

When a bishop or any other president is released, so are his/her counsellors. That's in the handbook and was the established practice of the church since before there even were handbooks. I think there's a principle involved - it's more than just a practice.

In my view, the previous handbooks used the words "assistants" to cover high priests group leaders and their assistants who formed a sort of presidency. But now there are no more high priests groups, the word "assistants" has been removed. Those of us with long memories will recall there used to be elders group leaders and assistants too. I think they were phased out in the 1960s when we started having an elders quorum president in wards rather than 1 or more elders quorum in a stake..

There's nothing I can find in the current handbook to say that young men who serve as assistants to the priests quorum president are automatically released when a bishop is released.

However, LCR does release them automatically with a bishop and I think that's a bug in LCR. (This happened recently in my own ward.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

peparsons wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:57 am However, LCR does release them automatically with a bishop and I think that's a bug in LCR. (This happened recently in my own ward.)
Maybe. The "business rules" for LCR are handed down from above, not from developers reading the Handbook.

From Handbook 10.1.3.3:
The bishop is the president of the priests quorum. He calls one or two quorum members to serve as his assistants.
If the assistants remain when there's a new president (bishop), how does that fulfill "he calls"? To me, the Handbook implies an active choice, not a passive acceptance of what was prior.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”