Where are downloads stored?

Discussions related to the Gospel Media App - formerly called LDS Media Library (all platforms)
mcq1

Where are downloads stored?

Post by mcq1 »

I have downloaded several videos to my android tablet using the LDS Media Library App. I cannot locate where they are stored and I am concerned that they are being saved to internal storage and not my external SD card. Is there a way to make sure that the media is saved to the external SD card? Where are the files stored? Can the downloaded files be viewed by other players?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Where are downloads stored?

Post by sbradshaw »

If you have Android 6, you can go to Android settings and move the app with all of its data to an SD card. Downloaded media is stored as app data – they aren't visible outside of the app. However, there are plans to add the ability to export images, audio, or video files to a user-specified location (for example, if you want to export an image so it can be used as your phone wallpaper, or if you want to download media for use in another app).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mcq1

Post by mcq1 »

Could you give instructions on how to find what version of Android. Also details of how to move. Thanks
mcq1

Post by mcq1 »

I have version 5. I will need to know if I can put 6 on my tablet.mcq
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mcq1 wrote:I have version 5. I will need to know if I can put 6 on my tablet.
That's a question you'll have to direct toward a forum that supports your brand of tablet.

If there was a update for your tablet, I'd expect that you'd see a pending system update. But many tablets sold will never see a update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mcq1

Post by mcq1 »

My tablet is and Ellipses 8. It was updated November to 5.1. There is a youtube video showing how to install 6.01 but it is a hack and makes me nervous. I hope the the Apps engineers put in the storage location option soon. My wife's tablet has 6.01 and I was able to have LDS Media Library on the external sd card.
mcq
kdohogne

Post by kdohogne »

I learned that even after you move the APP to External storage to free up internal storage space, you still have to delete the data used by the APP on Internal storage. In other words, yes the APP moves but all the videos, data etc you have downloaded while the APP was on Internal Storage stays on internal space, those things do NOT seem to move to external space with the APP. And thus, internal storage is still not freed up very much. So, move the APP to external storage, then delete the downloaded data associated with the APP using Smart Manager or APP manager, and then after the APP is moved to external storage download data and videos etc you need and it goes on external storage too. It took a while for me to realize this, but it should have been obvious. Doh!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thanks, kdohogne – I'm sure you're not the only one who was tripped up by that!
kdohogne

Post by kdohogne »

I'm still wrestling with this, i am now convinced that what i wrote in my previous post does not work. In fact, I just Uninstaller and deleted everything, then reinstalled GL app, then movedelete app from internal storage to external storage card, then, logged into GLOBAL, then looked for settings to find a setting to indicate download all app media to external card. This is a problem, cause I could not find any setting to direct downloaded media to either internal or external storage. So, I assumed maybe it will download data to external storage since that's where GL app is located. I downloaded all things I wanted. Result, internal storage lost 2GB of space. No! My conclusion is none of my efforts solved the problem of GL app consuming precious internal storage space. Yes the app is on external, but so far, I still cannot find way to make data, videos, lessons, etc download to external storage. Frustrating. I think there's a software shortcoming.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm not sure why the SD card setting isn't taking – it may be different for different types of devices. Are you able to successfully install other apps on external storage and have all their data go to the right place?

You might try sending feedback to the support team under Settings.

Return to “Gospel Media”