What's the New Integrated Curriculum in 2018?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: What's the New Integrated Curriculum in 2018?

Post by sbradshaw »

2018 curriculum can be found on LDS.org:
https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/m ... f?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER experienced, nor had complaints that people couldn't perform their ecclesiastical duties because of bandwidth constraints.
I have. And simply saying that FM can wave and magic wand and up change that is not always the case. I've tried. I've really tried. We're stuck with 4G for the foreseeable future.

johnshaw wrote:The Network team is STILL thinking of providing the ability to turn the internet on/off for specific Roles in the church which I think would be a disaster
I'm not sure where you're getting that information. Calling-based was abandoned some time ago when they discovered that it would be a mess to implement securely. The last I heard about a year ago was that they were thinking of having 3 levels of filtering, the most restrictive being "church sites only".

johnshaw wrote:'Get Off My Lawn' mentality is not going to move the Gospel Forward in a digital age!
I see nothing wrong with prioritizing legitimate church traffic over what the member's desire for social media. If they don't like it, they can switch to their data plan. Nor would I see a problem with prioritizing a teacher's use of YouTube for the class over the general membership. It's all about managing the bandwidth for the intended purpose. It's the church's lawn, they should be able to use it without having to compete with the neighborhood.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:2018 curriculum can be found on LDS.org:
https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/m ... f?lang=eng
Thanks for the info. It looks like the ComeFollowMe.lds.org site hasn't been updated for adults yet, so I don't know what the lessons will be like.

Also, I noticed the Sunday School for adults and Primary will stay with the same lesson plan we've been using for years. I thought those were all changing to the "Come, Follow Me" approach, but I guess not. I'm not complaining. I continue to be uplifted and enlightened by the current curriculum being repeated on a 4 year cycle. I don't think I've learned everything yet :) However, we were told that we will longer need the Lesson Schedules app in 2018 because we would just have learning outlines instead of lessons. They sure look like lessons to me.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

From store.lds.org:

The November 2017 Ensign and Liahona magazines and subsequent general conference issues contain the curriculum for Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society meetings in a new section called Come, Follow Me—For Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society.

Members can purchase a magazine subscription or access the magazine content on the Gospel Library app or LDS.org. Units should order copies of the conference magazine only for those Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society leaders and teachers who do not otherwise have access.

Review the information in Instructions for Curriculum 2018. Please consider that most curriculum materials can be viewed or downloaded at LDS.org and that those who use mobile devices can access these materials on the LDS Gospel Library mobile app. Before submitting your unit order, assess the needs of your members who prefer to use print materials. Please be careful not to order more printed copies than your unit may require.

Youth Curriculum Online

Find Come, Follow Me at lds.org/youth/learn. If your unit used Come, Follow Me in 2017, continue using this curriculum in 2018. Please use your current manuals, the online versions, or the mobile app.

Primary

2018 Outline for Sharing Time: I Am a Child of God will not be available to order. Each unit will receive three copies of this resource before January 2018.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jshill8

Post by jshill8 »

In looking over the Questions and Answers about the New Curriculum (https://www.lds.org/manual/come-follow- ... s?lang=eng), my counselors and I saw the note about first Sundays being an opportunity for RS and Melchizedek Priesthood groups to council together regarding local needs. Our question is whether the intention is for the Relief Society to meet with the priesthood each first Sunday to have all of them meet in council OR whether the intention is for the Relief Society to meet with its members every first Sunday to hold a council to discuss our local needs and identify the solutions (and the High Priests and EQs would meet and council with their members as well)? So, basically, are we meant to have a joint priesthood/Relief Society council meeting each first Sunday, or are we meant to continue to meet separately each first Sunday and council within our groups/quorums? Does anyone have any insight to offer on that? Just trying to envision how this will be implemented.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jshill8 wrote:So, basically, are we meant to have a joint priesthood/Relief Society council meeting each first Sunday, or are we meant to continue to meet separately each first Sunday and council within our groups/quorums?
Although I see how it might be interpreted that way, I do not get the impression that the first Sunday will be a combined meeting. A member of a presidency or group would not be able to preside and sit in council with a combined quorum, group, and Relief Society, and the bishopric already does that on the fifth Sunday.

I envision it similar to what we are supposed to be doing now on the first Sunday where a member of the presidency or group leadership instructs members of the group, quorum, or Relief Society in their priesthood or organization responsibilities. But now, rather than the leader presenting and discussing the topic they select, we will actually counsel together as a group or quorum to determine how best to meet the needs of the local members within the areas of responsibility we have as a high priests group, elders quorum, or Relief Society.

That's the way I envision it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree with Brother Jackson.
First Sunday Council Meeting: A presidency member or group leader leads members as they counsel together and make plans to meet local needs.
An elders quorum president from American Fork, Utah, who also participated in the pilot, said using the new curriculum helped increase the unity of the quorum and the relevancy of the lessons.
We now sit in a circle, and each week feels like a council. We are getting more engagement and more application to daily lives than I have experienced in elders quorum ever before.
These quotations do seem to indicate that RS, EQ, and HPG members will meet separately, as they do now. The difference is that it will be a council, or discussion, rather than a lesson.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

And here is a quote from the Church News last week (August 25):
Local leaders will counsel together about which conference messages will best meet the needs of their members, and Relief Society and Melchizedek Priesthood quorums and groups don’t have to study the same message the same week.
If they are not studying the same message the same week, they obviously are not in a combined meeting.

Return to “General Discussions”