Tithing and Donation Problems

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing and Donation Problems

Post by russellhltn »

mmcastell wrote:I made a substantial donation on December 31, 2020 and it is still being processed on January 4. Only 10% of the donation was withdrawn from my bank account. I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
You need to get with your finance clerk, who will probably have to contact support. This is a user-to-user support forum. No one here can look into your issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ryanleecole

Post by ryanleecole »

Related to this, can members back-date a tithing donation? For example, if they want to the tithing to be counted as part of 2020, is that possible? If so, how?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

ryanleecole wrote:Related to this, can members back-date a tithing donation? For example, if they want to the tithing to be counted as part of 2020, is that possible? If so, how?
I would guess the reason for the question is for tax purposes. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to back-date a donation. Once the ball falls (and often before, due to processing delays), it's too late.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ryanleecole wrote:Related to this, can members back-date a tithing donation? For example, if they want to the tithing to be counted as part of 2020, is that possible? If so, how?
At least in the US the law mandates what year a donation is counted in. For a donation to count in 2020 it must either be submitted online prior to the end of 2020, be sent in an envelope which is postdated before the end of 2020 or is hand delivered to a member of the bishopric prior to the end of 2020. In no case can a donation be counted in the prior year if it isn't submitted in one of those ways before the end of the year.

For donations received by the bishopric (either by mail or by hand delivery) before the end of the year, the clerk can enter them in a batch for 2020 even after the end of the year. But that's only for donations received in the prior year. For online donations CHQ automatically assigns it to the right year.

Post by 2929 »

No record of any donations for calendar years 2019 (1) and 2020 (2), yet I have three computer donation receipts. Annual charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement show "No donations recorded" for 2019 and 2020. Not certain how to keep this confidential and do not want to go through local Ward and Stake personnel. Please respond to [phone number deleted].

[Moderator edit: Phone number removed. This is a public forum.]
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

2929 wrote:No record of any donations for calendar years 2019 (1) and 2020 (2), ...
Please remember this is a public user-to-user discussion forum, not an official help/support-request channel. Nobody here can solve any problems.

It sounds like the problem might be that your Church Account is not connected to your Membership Record Number. In the Church Account sub-forum, there is a 'PLEASE READ FIRST' thread with methods for solving that problem if it is applicable. That thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=30383

If that does not resolve the problem you have encountered, the next best stop would be ward clerk or ward finance clerk.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you donated on-line, I'd make sure you're using the same Church Account to look for your donations. Donations made under one account won't be visible in another.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

2929 wrote:No record of any donations for calendar years 2019 (1) and 2020 (2), yet I have three computer donation receipts. Annual charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement show "No donations recorded" for 2019 and 2020. Not certain how to keep this confidential and do not want to go through local Ward and Stake personnel. Please respond to [phone number deleted].

[Moderator edit: Phone number removed. This is a public forum.]
Did you donate through the regular online donations tool (Donations.ChurchofJesusChrist.org), or through another system (envelope to a member of the bishopric, Philanthropies.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, bill pay directly to headquarters)? Donations directly to headquarters aren't recorded in the online donations tool, because that's connected to your ward and those who donate directly to headquarters might not want their donations to be visible to their bishop and clerk. Donations in kind, stocks, cryptocurrency, etc. also won't show up in the online donations tool. Donations by giving an envelope to a member of the bishopric are connected to your membership record and should show up in the online donations tool, IF you are signed in with a Church Account that has your membership record number recorded, AND the ward has associated your local unit donation record with your membership record (a ward clerk would need to verify this).

If you need personalized donation help outside of your ward/stake clerk, you can try sending an email to donations@churchofjesuschrist.org or philanthropies@churchofjesuschrist.org (depending on how you donated).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tendercare

Post by tendercare »

i live in the United States and receive social security. i always paid tithes on my gross income that i earned. Do I need to pay tithes my social security income?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

tendercare wrote:i live in the United States and receive social security. i always paid tithes on my gross income that i earned. Do I need to pay tithes my social security income?
There has been some discussion on that topic. However, please note that the Code of Conduct prohibits religious discussions or debates. A New Era article from 2008 has an answer that had been published by the First Presidency. The article is here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

Return to “Online Donations”