An enhancement request

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jdahmanson

An enhancement request

Post by jdahmanson »

While I appreciate the Notes feature across platforms, there is one thing missing that I would really like. I would love a Talks feature (or whatever you would like to call it). It would basically be a section where you could add your own content to the library. What makes this different from the Notes feature, is you would be able to highlight and especially link in this feature, as if it were Church-generated content. (Obviously, the content of this section would be accessible only to you but would cross platforms.)

Thus, you could write a talk and include links to other Gospel Library content. And what I would really want to use it for: I could type in my patriarchal blessing and link/cross-reference it to the Scriptures.

It seems to me like it would be a simple matter of programming. :D
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: An enhancement request

Post by sbradshaw »

I agree this is a great idea (and it's commonly requested, especially for patriarchal blessings). Unfortunately, it would require major changes with how annotations are stored and synced with LDS.org, so it probably won't be possible in the near future.

Each annotation has an ID for the document (chapter, talk, or article) it's tied to, as well as the specific paragraph and the specific word(s). The annotations sync service has a map of each version of each document on the content server, which allows it to adjust annotations based on which version of the content the user is using.

In order to sync annotations for user-created documents, the annotations sync service would have to have a map of each document for every user, and the map would have to be updated whenever a paragraph or word is added or removed. Links to and from that document would also have to be updated whenever there's a change, to make sure it stays linked to the right words or paragraphs.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

FWIW, using a notebook and journal entries gets you to the same functional end, just not in the same way. Add your journal entries to the notebook, add highlights in other content to the notebook, sort each as needed to sequence your talk. I assume this still works in the new version, but I'm not using it right now so I can't tell you. (Though apparently I'm screwed and will have to switch as the current magazines are not being added to the content for the previous version, so I'll be able to tell you before too long - or I'll have to get a subscription - I truly hate the new version. :( )
rjsteck

Post by rjsteck »

Any change or update on this topic in the last 5 years?
Adding personal content to the library would be useful, if it could be cross-linked and tagged.
THANKS
R
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

rjsteck wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:09 am Any change or update on this topic in the last 5 years?
Adding personal content to the library would be useful, if it could be cross-linked and tagged.
THANKS
R
No, the situation is the same. You can create standalone notes in the Notebooks section of Gospel Library that contain personal content – for example, a talk or a patriarchal blessing – and you can add tags to those notes. However, there's no way to highlight, link, or tag individual words or phrases in the note. That said, because it's a note, you could use bold, italics, and underline as a way of "highlighting."
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library”