Deleting Budget Categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tdhawryluk

Deleting Budget Categories

Post by tdhawryluk »

I tried deleting some budget headings but it said they were in use.
These were headings for events that were one-time-only that happened long ago. I checked back for the last 5 years and there were no entries in or out in these categories and there were no sub categories.
Why can I not get rid of them?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

punman wrote:I tried deleting some budget headings but it said they were in use.
These were headings for events that were one-time-only that happened long ago. I checked back for the last 5 years and there were no entries in or out in these categories and there were no sub categories.
Why can I not get rid of them?
Are they at zero balance? Did any transaction at all take place in the last 5 years? (it is 5 for Canada, right?) You won't be able to get rid of them until after current year plus 5. In the meantime, you might want to hide them.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lajackson wrote:You won't be able to get rid of them until after current year plus 5.
Or current year minus 5. :) This 5-year period lajackson is speaking of for Canada (it's 3 years in the US) is the time to retain financial records for historical and auditing requirements by law.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mkmurray wrote:Or current year minus 5. :)
Yes, go with the minus, toward the long, long ago direction. (Whew, I feel younger already).
tdhawryluk

Post by tdhawryluk »

I can't see any activity in the past 5 years for these categories.
We have not used them in 2009 either.
You ask are they zero balance? I thought budget balances did not carry forward from year to year so even if we did use one particular category in 2008, would it not have a zero balance in 2009 if we never used that category in 2009?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”