Feeding missionaries

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Feeding missionaries

Post by russellhltn »

hammondpaul wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:42 am I am wondering if it is church policy to ASSINGN members to feed the missionaries. In our ward there is a person with a calling that calls members and sets up meals for the missionaries. it seems to put members in an awkward situation.
As far as I can tell, feeding the missionaries is not an official church program. At least, I can't find any mention of it in the Handbook. If true, that makes it a church activity organized by the local leadership.

The closest thing I can find in the Handbook is section 20.6.1 on activities: "Members may provide food if doing so is not a burden." Also section 20.2.2: "While gathering in activities can be a blessing, members should not be made to feel obligated to attend every activity. Activities should not put undue burdens on leaders and members."

The Missionary Standards manual, which is aimed at the missionaries, does mention "Meals with Others" and doesn't go much beyond "your mission president and the local stake president will provide guidelines for scheduling meals with people in your mission."

Personally, I agree with the others that assigning people who have not volunteered is likely to create problems. I would raise the issue with local leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
forgotgingkoba

Post by forgotgingkoba »

As a former RS president in a stake where our Stake President insisted that every day the missionaries have dinner provided, I can tell you that it is an arduous task to fill their dinner calendar. Yes, we used the pass around calendar. Yes, we used the online signup. Yes, we called people. Yes, we in the RS presidency fed the missionaries many times each month. Did the missionaries appreciate the HOURS we spent taking care of their dinners? No. In fact, the sisters got to be resentful enough that I had to create a “thank you” template for the
Missionaries to send to the sisters after dinner was provided.

Coincidentally, we just completed a 3 hour dinner event with four missionaries so I expect the 3-hour rule is not strictly enforced.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I would encourage anyone where an "organized" program exists for providing meals for the missionaries, to ask their local leaders for details behind the purpose of that program. I imagine that most every time, somebody somewhere has a meaningful goal behind the program, beyond simply feeding the missionaries -- but that goal may not be communicated, and local members simply hear "we need to feed the missionaries!". There might be a local Mission goal to contact every member in their home, and missionary meals are a part of that program. Or anything the Mission President or Stake President is trying to accomplish in supporting local members in their own efforts to share the gospel.

If the local leaders are coordinating with the local Mission (mainly Stake President with Mission President) about this, then communicating this goal to members will likely help things work more smoothly. And for those cases where it's not anything driven by the local Mission but rather by local ward/stake leaders, I'd personally request they coordinate their efforts with the Mission leaders so that local members are doing things that align with the missionaries' own goals.

Regarding 2.4.5 in the Missionary Standards guide, I know that even as a pretty good 19-year-old missionary, I (a) was not always respectful of member's time, (b) was not always outwardly grateful, and (c) had experiences where we tried to share a message after our meal and members sometimes tried to rush us out instead. So having everyone (members, leaders, and missionaries) on the same page about missionary meals is an ongoing effort, and communication and coordination is key.

Return to “General Discussions”