Class Memembers not visable to sunday school teachers

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
alandd

Re: Class Memembers not visable to sunday school teachers

Post by alandd »

russellhltn wrote:I can't say why the teachers don't have access, but in similar situations the answer has been the division of duties. Perhaps attendance is the Sunday School Presidency's responsibility.
OK, I can see that. I also think each teacher would want to easily know name, address, email, etc. for each learner. Especially for teachers of youth who might want to visit learners at home and so on.

I express my opinion and puzzlement, not demands. We will make it work with the tools we have.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

alandd wrote:I also think each teacher would want to easily know name, address, email, etc. for each learner. Especially for teachers of youth who might want to visit learners at home and so on.
I agree. I'd think teachers would at least want to know the names in the class to try and form a connection. I'm thinking that making the suggestion with that angle is more likely to yield results.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SoderborgJG

Post by SoderborgJG »

I'm sorry, but having access in the app to your class goes beyond just attendance. Sacred funds have been spent to create the app and enable the communication to members with it. Not giving teachers access to their class members in the app makes the effort of contacting class members with reminders and assignments in class much more laborious. This should be enabled in the spirit of "reduce and simplify". Let's reduce time needed to be good shepherds of our classes and simplify the process of interacting with the classes by enabling this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SoderborgJG wrote:Not giving teachers access to their class members in the app makes the effort of contacting class members with reminders and assignments in class much more laborious.
The permissions are worked out by the Brethren, not the developers. I'm sure the permissions are worked out in conjunction with advice from the legal department in keeping with various privacy laws. I'm not seeing anything in the handbook that tasks teachers with the responsibility of contacting members.

You can send your request via the feedback link on lds.org. You may not get any response, but it will be reviewed. There are no decision-makers here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mcjorgen

Post by mcjorgen »

We are trying to get away from paper rolls. Teachers want to access their class member info electronically in the Tools app. Currently only Sunday school members can see all of the class members in each class. Teachers should be able to see the info for the class they are called to teach. As a workaround we are sending PDF files via email with the class list info. We just need the church to update the entitlements for a Sunday school teacher so they can view their class member info via the app.
jacobleelindsay

Post by jacobleelindsay »

Yeah there's really no excuse for it. If it were a privacy thing, they could easily disable any information beyond a name. As a newly called Sunday school teacher in a new Ward, v this is extremely frustrating and can make for some embarrassing moments. Our Sunday school presidency isn't bothered with rolls or anything so it's pretty challenging. And it doesn't need to be.
david.north

Post by david.north »

sbradshaw wrote:
scgallafent wrote:Class rolls can be printed from Leader and Clerk Resources. Look for Attendance Rolls under the Reports menu in LCR.
To clarify, Sunday School presidency members have access to print rolls from Leader and Clerk Resources – they can be printed and given to teachers.
That's a needless dependency. The Sunday School President (or presidency if a ward has one) should NOT have to be responsible to get rolls out to their teachers. Especially where many units are meeting virtually for second-hour instruction (i.e., no new printed roll given to each class each month/quarter) - fix this. There is no logical reason why a Sunday School teacher, whose calling is properly entered into MLS/LCR should not have access to see his/her students in the "All Members" tab in LDS tools.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

david.north wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:
scgallafent wrote:Class rolls can be printed from Leader and Clerk Resources. Look for Attendance Rolls under the Reports menu in LCR.
To clarify, Sunday School presidency members have access to print rolls from Leader and Clerk Resources – they can be printed and given to teachers.
That's a needless dependency. The Sunday School President (or presidency if a ward has one) should NOT have to be responsible to get rolls out to their teachers. Especially where many units are meeting virtually for second-hour instruction (i.e., no new printed roll given to each class each month/quarter) - fix this. There is no logical reason why a Sunday School teacher, whose calling is properly entered into MLS/LCR should not have access to see his/her students in the "All Members" tab in LDS tools.
The Forum is primarily user-to-user help and support. There is nobody in the Forum who can make any changes. Those responsible and who can consider your concern are not likely to see this topic thread. The system works in accordance to the business rules given to the development teams in ICS by the sponsoring Church committees, councils, and departments. Any suggestions or concerns can be sent to those with authority to make the business rules through the feedback link on Church websites or up your priesthood chain. Either route will most likely not result in a personal response but it will be considered.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
hhalladay

Post by hhalladay »

As a Sunday School President, I have had the same question and it made no sense to me. Teachers are asking for it to be able to minister to their class. I was told it was related to privacy considerations and particularly for youth.
mentalm6t

Post by mentalm6t »

scgallafent wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:29 pm Please submit this feedback using the feedback link in Leader and Clerk Resources. There is a blue link to provide feedback at the bottom right of each page.
jdlessley wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm The Forum is primarily user-to-user help and support. There is nobody in the Forum who can make any changes. Those responsible and who can consider your concern are not likely to see this topic thread. The system works in accordance to the business rules given to the development teams in ICS by the sponsoring Church committees, councils, and departments. Any suggestions or concerns can be sent to those with authority to make the business rules through the feedback link on Church websites or up your priesthood chain. Either route will most likely not result in a personal response but it will be considered.
That's a rather hopeless and passive sentiment. If there's really no one that you can forward these requests to, that does not instill in us any confidence that our requests through some other channel (that you've assured us will not yield any response) will be any more fruitful. Yes, I will submit my feedback through the LCR feedback link like @scgallafent previously suggested, but I have to assume that the other users in this thread have also done so, yet to no avail after 5 years. Surely there has to be some mechanism for those of you helping us on this forum (i.e., you're the soldiers on the tech / usability front line) to convey problems and good ideas to the appropriate entities. If that mechanism does not exist for you, then maybe you should use the LCR feedback link to ask for the ability to do so.

This thread has been alive for 5 years, with people running into the same problems. It is hard to believe that after all this time, Sunday School teacher still cannot view their class members, and you cannot provide a report / feedback to anyone on your side of things.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”