Some video downloads not possible from LDS.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
cnj87

Some video downloads not possible from LDS.org

Post by cnj87 »

Whenever I use Chrome, I am not able to download certain videos from LDS.org. I've noticed this mostly when I'm trying to access the videos linked from the YW lessons. I'll click on the link to the video, and it will bring up the video player. But when I click the Download link, nothing happens. When I try this in other browsers, I get a little popup asking whether I want the small/medium/large file - but in Chrome I get nothing. I have to think this is some sort of Javascript issue. I definitely have Javascript enabled in Chrome, and I've also tried disabling my ad blocker. Nothing seems to help. Any thoughts? It's annoying to switch browsers for something random like a video download...

By the way, I haven't had any trouble downloading content through the Media Library. It's only certain pages that are problematic.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Some video downloads not possible from LDS.org

Post by sbradshaw »

Do you have an example of a page where the download link isn't working?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've tried several of the videos linked from the YW March lessons. All of them get pop-ups asking me what size of download I want.

This is with the current version of Chrome.

You might want to try disabling any add-ins.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cnj87

Post by cnj87 »

Here is a YW lesson from January with a problematic video: https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/yw/godh ... lang=eng#d

By the way, updating the browser and disabling add-ins has never worked for me in resolving this issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cnj87 wrote:Here is a YW lesson from January with a problematic video: https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/yw/godh ... lang=eng#d
Working fine on Chrome under Windows 10 for me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The video download links work for me, but I'm seeing some warnings in the web inspector (image attached).
I'll bet one of those warnings is turning into an error on your computer, because of browser settings, a slow internet connection, or some other reason.
screenshot_364.png
(229.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:I'll bet one of those warnings is turning into an error on your computer, because of browser settings, a slow internet connection, or some other reason.
The bottom two catch my eye. I wonder if the user is running an extension that tries to make everything https.

cnj87

Post by cnj87 »

Just checked my console. I get the same first three warnings, and then it says nothing.

I wouldn't think it's the internet connection, as I've had this same issue in two different houses on a 200 Mbps connection. Plus, I've had this issue for over a year, so I can't imagine the speed would continuously be an issue over that length of time. Not sure which browser settings to check... Like I mentioned before, turning off extensions doesn't work.
wmwmorgan

Post by wmwmorgan »

I am having the same problem. I am not having any issue with this on my older Windows 7 laptop. However, when I upgraded to Windows 10 and a new machine I cannot download any videos from YM or YW in Chrome I click on the download button and nothing happens. I can download in the Explorer but only if I do one at a time and get out of the Explorer program each time. Help!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

wmwmorgan wrote:I am having the same problem. I am not having any issue with this on my older Windows 7 laptop. However, when I upgraded to Windows 10 and a new machine I cannot download any videos from YM or YW in Chrome I click on the download button and nothing happens. I can download in the Explorer but only if I do one at a time and get out of the Explorer program each time. Help!
I have the same problem with my laptop, running Windows 7 Professional and the latest Chrome browser. I have to use IE to download videos on that laptop. I am not using any strange Chrome extensions, so it seems Chrome is trying to protect me from something.

I can't remember if the download fails at home as well as in the meetinghouse. Good thing to test.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Main Church Website”