Organized Testing of PAF in Wine

Discussions about PAF, PAF SDK, and the future of PAF.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

I don't believe I said the MS core fonts were on the PAF 5 CD. Here's where you can get fonts:

PAF 5 international unicode font: CD or download (the AllLangs version mentioned earlier).

MS core fonts: download from Sourceforge.

Oh, if you want to use a Wine version different from what your distribution has, you can compile from source and then run from the directory where you compiled it. The "make install" step is not necessary.

HTH, and please contact me if I can help further.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:Whoops. Fixed now.
Confirmed. Now to start abu.... uh, using it. :D
AlexEagar-p40

Post by AlexEagar-p40 »

I finally found the PAFAllLangs.exe version of PAF. There is not a link to it on the download page, but it can be obtained from http://ftp.ldscatalog.com/PAF5AllLangs.exe. It includes an option to install an international unicode font that works great.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

AlexEagar wrote:I finally found the PAFAllLangs.exe version of PAF. There is not a link to it on the download page, but it can be obtained from http://ftp.ldscatalog.com/PAF5AllLangs.exe. It includes an option to install an international unicode font that works great.
They didn't make it as easy to find as I would have liked. Actually, it looks like you can get to it by going to familysearch.org -> order/download products -> software downloads -> Personal Ancestral File 5.2.18.0 - Multi-Language (9.7MB) -> Download. That looks like roughly equivalent to where you found it?
AlexEagar-p40

Post by AlexEagar-p40 »

Actually, it looks like you can get to it by going to familysearch.org -> order/download products -> software downloads -> Personal Ancestral File 5.2.18.0 - Multi-Language (9.7MB) -> Download. That looks like roughly equivalent to where you found it?

That forwards you to the familysearch.com page that has individual languages but not the multi-languge download. But I guessed the URL to the multi-language download by looking at that page.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

AlexEagar wrote:That forwards you to the familysearch.com page that has individual languages but not the multi-languge download. But I guessed the URL to the multi-language download by looking at that page.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't go through the registration panel to see what was actually beyond it. I just tried to add the URL you posted earlier to the HowTo on the AppDB page for PAF 5 under Wine, but that site was having difficulties. I'll make a note to add it when that site is working again.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

PAF 4 and PAF 5 both work quite well under Wine.

Post by rmrichesjr »

Both PAF 4 and PAF 5 now work quite well under Wine on LInux. My testing of PAF 4 was a bit limited, but basic functionality seems to be there. (Thanks to Alex Eagar for the tip that PAF 4 now runs.) My testing with PAF 4 used Wine 0.9.47. I don't know how any earlier Wine versions work with PAF 4.

Return to “Personal Ancestral File (PAF)”