Clerk training - cheat sheets

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
garystroble

Re: Clerk training - cheat sheets

Post by garystroble »

mungga wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:31 am G'day guys,
In regards to cheat sheets. I have been coming up with a sorta cheat sheet for our stake. I have basically Copied and pasted all the relevant sections from the handbook and soon will be doing a step by step guide. Now granted it is for mainly Australia you could potentially copy it and adjust for your particular area.
if you would like to have a look
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

Feel free to look through it.
Hopefully it helps

Jordan from Australia
This is very nice and represents a massive amount of work on your part. However, I see at least two concerns:

1. How will you know when the General Handbook is changed electronically and your pages are then obsolete and giving out old information? It seems you are reinventing the wheel so to speak, and you and stake clerks after you may have a hard time keeping up with changes in policy in the General Handbook on your training pages.

2. I note you are using the Church wordmark and symbol on page 1 of your training. This is not allowed without approval as noted in the General Handbook, section 38.8.8
lwrunyon

Re: Clerk training - New Assistant Membership Clerk

Post by lwrunyon »

New Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership "Train me please!" So, I was recently called to the before mentioned calling and am hoping to be properly trained for my calling. Our current Ward Clerk is very willing to review my responsibilities and "show me the ropes" - however, I was thinking that is was the responsibility of the Stake to properly instruct new Assistant Ward Clerks. I can't really seem to find a lot online on the Church site on this matter. Where do I turn for instruction? I have had quite a lot of Church experience in a lifetime of callings - but this one is new to me in actual practice. Would love to advice. Thank you in advance.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Clerk training - New Assistant Membership Clerk

Post by rmrichesjr »

lwrunyon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am New Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership "Train me please!" So, I was recently called to the before mentioned calling and am hoping to be properly trained for my calling. Our current Ward Clerk is very willing to review my responsibilities and "show me the ropes" - however, I was thinking that is was the responsibility of the Stake to properly instruct new Assistant Ward Clerks. I can't really seem to find a lot online on the Church site on this matter. Where do I turn for instruction? I have had quite a lot of Church experience in a lifetime of callings - but this one is new to me in actual practice. Would love to advice. Thank you in advance.
I currently have the same calling. (Much has changed since I served in the same calling during the 1980s.) I don't have chapter and verse handy, but you are right that part of the jobs of the stake clerks is to train the ward (assistant) clerks. However, in practice, I have rarely if ever seen any formalized system set up for that. In my experience, getting as much information as you can from the ward clerk isn't a bad idea. Also in my experience, there will likely be ample opportunities to learn new things to do as they come up on their own.
mungga

Post by mungga »

Hello brother,
Sorry I honestly haven't been on here for a while. In regards to your question about reinventing the wheel. I don't think it isn't. What this does it give is a clear cut look at the expectations and walkthroughs of which the handbook doesn't cover. And yes the constant updates that are made in the handbook are not always going to be done. That is true. However the updates that are made in the handbook don't overly apply to this because this more to do with LCR. And this is to help more with that effort. The idea is more people that we have to contribute the better this would be. But you are right I'll get rid of the symbol on the documents. Also just so you know I gave this to global and asked for a LCR guide that could do the same job.

Thanks
Jordan Grant
Australia
CrossleyJP

Post by CrossleyJP »

G'day Jordan. This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
jared.booth

Post by jared.booth »

Thanks for sharing Jordan!
mungga

Post by mungga »

For those who are still using this I have recently updated the status of this document to Commenter for those who have a link. So that if you have noticed that something needs updating please send the information through so that we might all enjoy the updates, or suggestions.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”