Notes

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
frazierdavidrex

Re: Notes

Post by frazierdavidrex »

Once I log in to https://www.lds.org/notes and try and create a new note. But I can't find the new button for the life of me?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

frazierdavidrex wrote:Once I log in to https://www.lds.org/notes and try and create a new note. But I can't find the new button for the life of me?
You have to be in a notebook to create a note – after you open a notebook, you should see a pencil in a square icon on the left.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mynameisnate

Post by mynameisnate »

My main gripe may have to do with how I use the tools:

1. I'm teaching a lesson so I login, go to the manual, and start making notes all in a single notebook
2. I go through the lesson top to bottom, marking things in the order I would teach them, adding links, scriptures, etc
3. I go to the notebook page
4. EVERYTHING IS IN THE REVERSE ORDER OF HOW I WROTE IT.

This is infuriating. Imagine you're taking notes in a notebook in college and then when you go to study the end of the lesson is at the top! I could forgive this if I could re-order them manually (I believe we previously could) OR if I could COPY AND PASTE THE TEXT OF MY OWN NOTE. The notebook is a nightmare of frames within frames and when I try to click on the text in front of me to copy it to a word document so I can, you know, follow my own notes, it takes me to the verse or talk or manual page where I made the note.
I hope something is fixed because right now notebooks are next to useless. I wish there was a paper manual and I could write in the margins just so I can have something coherent on Sunday to work from.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You can reorder the notes in a notebook in the Gospel Library app (which syncs with the LDS.org notes). I'd recommend sending feedback using the Feedback link at the bottom of the notes page. It would make sense to be able to reorder notes online, and also to be able to select the text of highlighted passages to copy/paste. I like having the newest notes added to the top by default, but my use case isn't preparing a lesson.
danielmhair

Post by danielmhair »

Mine are gone to -- I wonder if they went to the unassigned notes, because if I look in my history of my scripture study, I see all my notes -- so it seems like they are lost in limbo.
liddellm

Post by liddellm »

my notes disappeared as well, and were only in a new format, which was very difficult to maneuver. I found a link in this forum somewhere that showed me how to access the older version, and so far it has worked. Not feeling secure so I downloaded all my notebook/journal as pdf file, just to not lose my whole spiritual journal !!! Right now this is the link that works for me:
https://www.lds.org/study-tools/folders?lang=eng#
iride.sud

Post by iride.sud »

Yes, it is true, so far it would be more than a year since the last time anyone commented on this topic. The creating new notes feature is still not available. I really think it would be good for family records to be able to create entries that can be accessed anywhere in the world, and that family itself could acces as well; that would be something to add to the feature, authorizing family members to read our notes if we desire so. I would do that; I'd like my future family one day see what where the kind of things I wrote down regarding my personal studies and personal revelation.
Keeping personal entries could be very useful if backed up by the church website, since it would be safe, and accesible anywhere in the world.
cnakken

Post by cnakken »

The notes and highlighting features have disappeared along with the toggle to the new beta scriptures when the Church announced the change in the website name. Do you know why?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The toggle was removed, but I'm still able to see notes or create highlights. Do you have an example of a page where notes/highlights aren't working for you?
justdaveb

Post by justdaveb »

I have used the notes tool to add notes over the past 4 or 5 years and all my notes have disappeared from before 2020. This happened when the church website recently went to the new format and was updated. Please let me know how I can get all my scripture study notes back from before 2020.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”