Member is divorced, spouse excomunicated yet record still states sealed to spouse

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
marcfromm

Member is divorced, spouse excomunicated yet record still states sealed to spouse

Post by marcfromm »

The member is divorced, the ex-spouse is excommunicated yet active member record still states sealed to spouse. The active member was recently civilly married after updating her record with her new husband (member also) her record says sealed to spouse, but she is not sealed to this spouse. Thus this will create confusion down the road making clerks and leaders think these two people are sealed when they are not.

Is there a way to remove the sealed = Yes from the record?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member is divorced, spouse excomunicated yet record still states sealed to spouse

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to contact local unit support.

Since her sealing hasn't been cancelled, she is still sealed. However, I'd think it would be a "Y" next to "sealed to prior spouse" rather than "sealed to spouse". (Unless they've changed the format of the record.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marcfromm

Re: Member is divorced, spouse excomunicated yet record still states sealed to spouse

Post by marcfromm »

It only says, "Sealed to Spouse Yes." To make it more confusing her new husband's record states the same thing. Thus both records state sealed to spouse, but the spouses are different people. I don't know if his ex-spouse is excommunicated as well. I would think with the wife in this situation, whose ex-spouse is excommunicated, it would not say sealed to spouse, since how can you be sealed to someone not on church records.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As long as the wife is faithful to her covenants, she still has rights to all the blessings of the sealing ordinance. That's why she's still considered sealed – because she still has all the blessings of being sealed and she's still in the covenant. If she and her new husband decide that they want to be sealed to each other, there's a process for a previous sealing to be nullified, with approval from the First Presidency. This is usually only done if there are plans to be sealed again soon after.

Everyone needs to be sealed, since it's a saving ordinance. In cases where one spouse abandons his covenants, and the other spouse never gets sealed to anyone else, the details of who the other spouse is sealed to in the eternities is figured out on the other side.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
marcfromm

Post by marcfromm »

OK. I will leave the records as they are and not pursue further action. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:As long as the wife is faithful to her covenants, she still has rights to all the blessings of the sealing ordinance. That's why she's still considered sealed – because she still has all the blessings of being sealed and she's still in the covenant. If she and her new husband decide that they want to be sealed to each other, there's a process for a previous sealing to be nullified, with approval from the First Presidency. This is usually only done if there are plans to be sealed again soon after.
Details can be found in Handbook 1: 3.6
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marcfromm

Post by marcfromm »

Yes. I still don't see the purpose, or blessing, of being labeled as sealed to an excommunicated member. I guess that's a doctrine question. For the membership purposes, the ambiguity will remain in the records.
nelsonleqa1

Post by nelsonleqa1 »

I'm in the same boat , what's the process? My ex wife is excommunicated and we are supposedly still sealed, I met someone new and we plan to marry in a few months, is the process more simpler now or do I still have to go through the long process? I'm confused
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nelsonleqa1 wrote:I met someone new and we plan to marry in a few months, is the process more simpler now or do I still have to go through the long process?
Your bishop should be able to answer any of your questions with the help of Handbook 1 and your stake president. Your bishop will help you make an Application to the First Presidency for a sealing clearance if you wish to be sealed to your new spouse.
janetleewilliams

Post by janetleewilliams »

I am divorced. Former husband is out of the church. The sealing "to"him is gone spiritually.
I understand there needs to be a spouse's name attached to a sealing....is that for records sake or doctrine?
it is through the sealing power I have access to the blessings.. not because I am sealed to him...he doesnt exist in the church for me to be sealed "to"

Could the form be changed?
It would be a very easy thing for the record to have choices. "Sealed to spouse" or "Sealed by way of former spouse" All confusion and uncomfortable feelings would be gone. A few words make a big difference.

Return to “Membership Help”