Expenses

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Re: Expenses

Post by drepouille »

jdlessley wrote:Rather than use a donor name of Anonymous use the ward name since the original funds came from the ward.
Good idea! Thanks!
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lylefigota

Post by lylefigota »

I have made a few errors on the Action items section So i tried to click on the adjust expense to change amount total. however in theprocess of it, it made a duplicate of it. Can someone direct me to how i can fix this error?
hernandez.maroon@gmail.com

Post by hernandez.maroon@gmail.com »

(I am a first time assistant financial clerk)
I have a similar situation, but folks are requesting reimbursements for less than what they paid for.
For example, the receipt will show $12.34 but the person will have only requested $12.00.

Should I simply change the amount myself or have them re-submit another request? If we reimburse less than what they actually paid I'm fairly certain we will get called out for it during the next audit.
I know this might be a bit picky but just want to make sure I don't mess things up :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Errors in what is requested to be reimbursed and what is on the documentation (receipts) needs to be resolved before approving the payment request. This usually involves contacting the payee to resolve the discrepancy. Once resolved you can annotate the resolution either on the payment request or by attaching another document describing the error and how it was resolved. Include your signature or initials as the one making the correction. There may be situations where a correction is not sufficient and the person submitting the payment request will need to resubmit with more complete documentation, additional documentation, or their own added written explanation as to why the documentation provided and the requested amount are different.

I will usually make the corrections myself when there is a math error, a receipt has personal purchases included with the reimbursable items, and/or the adjustment for the removed personal items resulted in a tax computation error.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

hernandez.maroon@gmail.com wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:25 am For example, the receipt will show $12.34 but the person will have only requested $12.00.
jdlessley provides good information. I would just add that sometimes the person intends to request less than the amount on the receipt either because there are also personal expenses on the receipt or for some other reason. Once you have confirmed that they requested the amount they intended to, it's OK to reimburse for less than is on the receipt. But as jdlessley said, make sure to document it (if I confirm by email then I usually just include a copy of the email chain). If you have confirmed and documented things then you shouldn't have any problem in the audit.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”