Stopped working on Kindle Fire

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Stopped working on Kindle Fire

Post by sbradshaw »

The latest versions of Fire OS are based on Android 5 and Android 7 (but even on those newer Kindle Fire devices, LDS Tools is not supported).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
h380waterskiing

Post by h380waterskiing »

I would like to know if you are working on a fix for Kindle fire tablets for LDS Tools or I have to start saving money towards a new device. I don't want a Ipad but a android device and will android still be supported?
Thanks,
wmjpalmerjr@outlook.com

Post by wmjpalmerjr@outlook.com »

I just dump Galexa Tab A for a Kindle Fire HD 10, and there is no Gospel Library nor Member Tools in the Amazon App Store....The Fire Tablets have a modified Android OS for Amazon, and most generic Android Apps will not work on the Fire Tablets, as per Amazon Customer Support.....I am very disappointed with this fact.....
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

wmjpalmerjr@outlook.com wrote:I just dump Galexa Tab A for a Kindle Fire HD 10, and there is no Gospel Library nor Member Tools in the Amazon App Store....The Fire Tablets have a modified Android OS for Amazon, and most generic Android Apps will not work on the Fire Tablets, as per Amazon Customer Support.....I am very disappointed with this fact.....
Amazon has a pretty great return policy...
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

h380waterskiing wrote:I would like to know if you are working on a fix for Kindle fire tablets for LDS Tools or I have to start saving money towards a new device. I don't want a Ipad but a android device and will android still be supported?
Thanks,
I think you should consider something as close to "stock" Android OS as possible. Kindle tablets have a highly customized version of android that may be several years out of date to the current android version. I'm not saying Kindle units are not good units - just that they are specifically designed for a specific purpose and that often breaks other software that works in the stock OS. If you shop sales and don't insist on the "power user" (latest and greatest) device, you should be able to find something that will serve well at a reasonable price.

I don't have any special insight, but it is my belief that the church has a very small development staff. It is possible they had to choose to between the Kindle OS and regular Android OS which likely has a higher installed base worldwide.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think the church intends to exclude the Kindle Fire, but it does have a troubled track record when it comes to LDS apps.

Just be careful about the ultra cheap ones. They might have a badly outdated version of Android.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:Just be careful about the ultra cheap ones. They might have a badly outdated version of Android.
Or poor build quality. Do some research and pick a solid brand or model that is not on the bleeding edge of technology (and price). Mid-range units can often do very nicely without breaking the bank.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”