Complete list of standard stake and ward callings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Complete list of standard stake and ward callings

Post by sbradshaw »

MFBarnett wrote:It would also be helpful to have the standard or suggested time frame listed with each calling. (For example, bishop's are generally in for 5 years in our area. Is that the usual worldwide?)
For out-of-unit leaders serving outside their home wards in Young Single Adult wards and stakes, the General Handbook specifies that the calling is normally for no longer than 3–5 years:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e_number30
That's the only specific guideline for length of service that I'm aware of.

EDIT: Missionaries and mission presidents also have specific lengths of service.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've heard of a 5 year limit for Bishops, and 10 years for stake president. But that may be a regional thing. I can't find it in the Handbook.

I'm not aware of any limits for other ward/stake callings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I've heard of a 5 year limit for Bishops, and 10 years for stake president.
While these may be what is seen on average, there is no time limit for serving in either calling.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Another unintended impact of even unofficial time periods for callings, is the associated internal pressure placed on the member. If they don't serve the "intended" amount of time due to personal reasons, it's all too easy to feel like your service was incomplete or a failure. Likewise, there are way too many members who have silently struggled in callings for much longer than they should have, because they were under the assumption that they "needed" to serve longer.

Also, I may be more prone to this than others, but I can tell you that even in church callings, if I know my time is nearing an end, it definitely impacts how I approach my responsibilities. And when I've had callings where my release was a 'surprise', I definitely was more focused on things than I would have been if I knew I was being released soon!
heidiawbrey

Post by heidiawbrey »

Thank you, I copied the list into Excel and it is lovely. Of course we tailor the list to individual needs but this is a perfect start.
suewin

Post by suewin »

What us the correct name for the calling fir the person who leads the music in Sacrament meeting?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

See the following link in the General Handbook (and you can find the "official names" of other music callings described there as well):
General Handbook 19.4.3.1 Ward Music Leader
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Looking for the standard ward calling name for Ward Activities Chairman? Had to add by name and that is definitely not the method our stake prefers.
What am I missing? This is for purposes of ward activities chairman having access to the ward calendar to schedule ward activities. It used to be a standardized calling.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

The current Handbook describes the way things are now organized:
GHB 20.2.1 Responsibility for Planning Activities
Essentially, my understanding is that the Church eliminated the calling of a ward activities chair, with the resulting responsibility for planning activities falling onto the ward council. However, a ward activities committee can still be created to help with the implementation of activities. Note that as described in the Handbook, the Stake Activities are organized a bit differently.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Thank you.

20.2.1 "When needed and where there are enough members, the bishopric may organize a ward activities committee. Youth may be called as committee members. This committee works under the direction of the ward council. The ward council assigns one of its members to be in regular contact with the activities committee."

So I assuming that the "ward council member" should be the one to make the entry on the ward calendar for the event? and NOT give calendar rights by name to the Activities Chairman?

Return to “Membership Help”