Is the Church Satellite System capable of HD?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
porterrt

Post by porterrt »

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is the Church Satellite System capable of HD?

Post by russellhltn »

Maybe. But the video distribution system of most meetinghouses is not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
porterrt

Post by porterrt »

I am trying to get confirmation if the system is capable of HD, but can't seem to find any discussion on it.
daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

No, the satellite system does not currently broadcast anything beyond a 480i SD frame. I do believe the church is mulling some higher definition satellite options, but there are no imminent changes that I'm aware of.

While the receivers are capable, there would likely be additional BW/uplink expense on G-19 and G-28, along with the expense of upgrading thousands of buildings with HD video distribution equipment. I doubt it will happen any time soon...
aaronrsmith

Post by aaronrsmith »

Sometime last year I spoke with one if the conference center tech guys. He made it sound like a budgetary issue. The tech guys want HD of course.

The receivers in chapels all downconvert, so no immediate building upgrade would be required, but relatively few meetinghouses could take advantage of HD at first.
jacobleebaker

Post by jacobleebaker »

We use HDMI out of the Sat to Ethernet (one to many) https://www.jtechdigital.com/j-tech-dig ... eiver.html
This allows for full HD once the church Satellite system is upgraded.
Requirements for this to work is a wired network with gigabit switches. (I would suggest dumb switches separated from the wireless network)
Bonus, no expensive HDMI cables just cheap network cables and Nth number of projectors or TVs.
We broadcast over the network both English and Spanish by streaming one or both, then configuring receivers to the appropriate feed.

In my opinion if the church wanted to go to HD, just stream at a higher resolution.
I would create a controlled access hosting that would reduce cost because only meeting houses would be using it.
Audio could be split off so any individual language can be paired with the video.
Use raspberry pi's to connect to the network (controlled image and cheap $36.37/each+$3 HDMI cable/per language)
Shift satellite receivers to locations that do not have the network provider bandwidth for streaming or downloading.

+Less equipment for FM to maintain
+Less electricity (not running all the time)
+Any number of languages can be viewed simultaneously at a meeting house
+Cheaper equipment and easily replaced
+More locations could have access to conferences and regional broadcasts.

-More reliant on network provider infrastructure
-Susceptible to government controls i.e. China ect
-Hacking, but not likely due to a controlled Linux image
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jacobleebaker wrote:In my opinion if the church wanted to go to HD, just stream at a higher resolution.
I believe they already do.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
FrederickJ

Post by FrederickJ »

Even if the c band broadcast and receiver is capable of HD the internal church distribution systems most likely are not. Besides making a wide screen picture on a 4x3 will overall reduce the vertical height of the image making it look smaller overall on the projection screen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

FrederickJ wrote:Besides making a wide screen picture on a 4x3 will overall reduce the vertical height of the image making it look smaller overall on the projection screen.
Which is what I see now: 16:9 in letterbox format.

I did notice instructions in the help center to change the receiver and tv set to use a different format to restore the vertical resolution to SD rather then just discarding those lines in a letterbox.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

mevans

Post by mevans »

As someone mentioned above, the receivers do have HDMI. We've talked about running a CAT 6 with baluns to the chapel so we can do HDMI to the projector; however, I'm glad I saw this message so I realize that the church isn't broadcasting in HD.

Return to “Satellite”