Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:It may be the ISP that's down. I'd power cycle the modem and then power cycle the firewall (unless the LDS starts doing something).
I found out (by mistake) it will stay orange indefinitely if the WAN (Internet) cable is removed or damaged. Check that first, THEN power cycle modem. Or just cable a notebook computer directly into the modem and see if you have access to the Internet.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:It may be the ISP that's down.
I found out (by mistake) it will stay orange indefinitely if the WAN (Internet) cable is removed or damaged.
If the Internet goes down then comes back up, does the Meraki recover, or does it stay orange until you reboot it? In other words, can it tell the difference between a missing/damaged cable and simply no data on the cable?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd hope it would eventually recover, but it may take longer then you are willing to wait. ;). I discovered that when rebooting a modem. The firewall didn't seem to sense the modem had come up.

But at that same building, I have the modem on a timer to reboot every night. I haven't had problems. So, yes, it does recover. But I don't know how quickly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ekoyle

Post by ekoyle »

lajackson wrote:
drepouille wrote:I cycled power on the Meraki firewall. After showing rainbow colors for a few minutes, it settled down to solid orange.
That is exactly where this unit is.
With the solid orange light, I had success simply unplugging the ethernet cable to the modem then plugging it back in (rather than rebooting the modem; it can still take a couple minutes to come back).
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

lajackson wrote:If the Internet goes down then comes back up, does the Meraki recover, or does it stay orange until you reboot it? In other words, can it tell the difference between a missing/damaged cable and simply no data on the cable?
The Meraki device detects changes to it's internet link. If the cable is disconnected and then reconnected or if the modem goes down and back up (ex: power cycle) it'll start trying to connect again. Normally if it can't get connected (orange light) it'll periodically try to connect. You can tell it is trying to connect once it starts doing the rainbow colors. From there it'll either succeed and go solid white (sometimes flashing white depending on the scenario) or it'll fail and go back to orange. The cycle keeps repeating until it can connect.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

yarrgh wrote:Normally if it can't get connected (orange light) it'll periodically try to connect.
Any idea how often it checks?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Any idea how often it checks?
The answer to this would be helpful, please.

I have a meetinghouse (at a distant location, as always) with some of the worst Internet service available. The provider drops service regularly. After the weeping and wailing and phone calls are over and the ISP modem has been rebooted and returns all green lights, how long will it be until the Meraki firewall with the orange light realizes Internet service is back?

Do I need to include power cycling the firewall on the checklist after the modem goes green?

This poor branch has not been able to transmit their financial information on Sunday for three weeks in a row now. And not only is it in a remote city, the boxes of interest are up a pull-down ceiling ladder in a remote location in the attic.

I am tempted just to let the FM Group figure it out each week, but that's another story, and it is part of one of my callings to help.

In the meantime, I hate to power cycle the firewall every week if it is going to recover itself, but I need better than same-day service because we keep telling the presidency and clerks to spend more time with their families.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:And not only is it in a remote city, the boxes of interest are up a pull-down ceiling ladder in a remote location in the attic.
In one building, I found what breaker the equipment was on. So, now the whole thing can be power cycled without having to climb a ladder and open a locked equipment box. :D

pfonua

Post by pfonua »

I am probably the newest member to this forum. I've been the stake clerk for less than a month. I feel lost, but confident that I'll merge into my calling and duties with time naturally. I feel that I am growing with confidence, and am encouraged and empowered by reading all the topics that are being discussed on these forums. Please continue to ask questions as they are vital to my learning and growth in my new calling, as well as I am sure that others like myself have found refuge. Thank you....Palei Fonua
petiolavaipulu

Post by petiolavaipulu »

Our FHC computer

One of the computer is doesn't work because after the booting then the User Account Control pop up asking to give an Administrator password so what I am asking for whether we are allowed to access or knows the Administrator password or not.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”