New Computer, "lenovo the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation canno

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
EricF42

New Computer, "lenovo the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation canno

Post by EricF42 »

One of our new Lenovo's had an issue and I wanted to post the fix here in case it saves someone else some time.

On first boot a pop-up said "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed". I thought I would have to download a fresh image but I found a workaround through Google on Microsoft answers. It worked!

Credit to "J0seph Red" who wrote:

1) On the same error screen press SHIFT+F10 and it will open up a black Window. (a command prompt window)

2) In the black windows type the word "regedit"(without the inverted commas and hit enter. That will open the registry editor.

In the Registry Editor..

Browse to....

HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion,on the right hand side check for setup.exe. if the value is 1 change it to 3.(by double clicking on setup.exe and changing the value shown in the box).

Then close the registry editor and then also close the black window.

SOURCE: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... c1de79d2e2
JReneeVega

Re: New Computer, "lenovo the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation c

Post by JReneeVega »

Thank you! I’m out of the stuck loop, now to see if it installs.

Return to “Clerk Computers”