Take a Name Search

maeanielsen

Take a Name Search

Post by maeanielsen »

I am 84 and only partially able to do computer. After I do "Take a Name" and sign into Family Search, what do I click on to tell the computer to search for names. I know the steps for getting work done, but not the "Take A Name' program.
mmcstrom

Re: Take a Name Search

Post by mmcstrom »

:roll: i have had take a name for free on my iPad, now I have purchased it for my iPhone. I have plunged the phone into my Mac and can't find the names. HHHeellpp! I want to print cards for temple work,
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

The Take A Name app is a third-party app (not produced by the church or by FamilySearch). There may be others on this user-to-user help forum who have experience with it, but your best resource for assistance would be from the app provider.

There are other posts on this forum with other advice when using Take A Name to identify ancestors who *MAY* be ready to be reserved for temple work. A good one to review is https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28405 which explores some of the benefits and problems with any app that simply searches your family line for names.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that regardless of the app, some names may disappear without warning. If it turns out your names are duplicates of existing people, someone may combine those records. And the combined record may have all the work already done. So, the person doesn't disappear - they're still in FamilySearch. But now their work is complete and are no longer a name for the temple.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Keep in mind that regardless of the app, some names may disappear without warning. If it turns out your names are duplicates of existing people, someone may combine those records. And the combined record may have all the work already done. So, the person doesn't disappear - they're still in FamilySearch. But now their work is complete and are no longer a name for the temple.
Absolutely true. I often merge duplicate records, causing reserved ordinances to no longer be necessary. This also happens when I record a death date for a child who died before the age of 8, eliminating the need for some ordinances. I figure I can do much more "temple work" using these methods than I could sitting through numerous (duplicate) ordinances.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

FamilySearch now has their own tool called Ordinances Ready that works similarly to Take a Name, but is more integrated and supported by FamilySearch.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “FamilySearch Products”