Adoption and MLS Records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jstark5

Adoption and MLS Records

Postby jstark5 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:31 am

I haven't found a clear answer to this on MLS or with other clerks to this point. I have a family in which the mother and father separated and then mother remarried. The new husband has legally adopted two of the boys from mother's previous marriage (legally everything was done correctly so there is no issue with this). The issue is that mother would like the children's biological father somehow still listed as their biological father on MLS. Her reasoning is that for genealogical purposes she wants to see both their adopted and biological lines. To my understanding however MLS tracks just the legal status of the family, but that Family Search has a way of tracking adopted and biological lines. Does anyone have better clarification on this?

eblood66

Re: Adoption and MLS Records

Postby eblood66 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:28 pm

jstark5 wrote:To my understanding however MLS tracks just the legal status of the family, but that Family Search has a way of tracking adopted and biological lines.

That's correct. The membership record only has the ability to record a single set of parents which will normally be the legal parents (although the handbook doesn't actually require it be the adoptive parents-it just requires the adoption be final before changes are made-but the name is supposed to be the legal name). Family Search allows multiple sets of parents with different classifications. The mother or father can record this information in Family Search but it won't be visible to anyone else until both parents and child are dead. At that point there may be multiple copies that need to be merged if multiple people record the information but at least the information would be preserved.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”