The LDS Linux Project

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
richardsontb

Re: The LDS Linux Project

Post by richardsontb »

I do like Raspberry PI. It harks back to the old days. I wish that it used an Intel chip. It is impossible to find software that has been ported to an ARM processor. I think Raspberry absolutely has the right idea. A board that is cheep enough that you can build a Kiosk and so many more things. With Puppy Linux, the community (at the time) found that people can't afford full boards. Now, making a flavor of Raspbian that is focused on the Church of Jesus Christ seems doable. My email is [redacted]. Do you know how to add a mini hard drive directly to the PI board, not through the USB?

Regards,

Todd Richardson

P.S.: I do like KaiOS. Only used it on a flip phone though.

From the desk of: Todd Richardson
------------------------------
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

[Moderator edit: Redacted email address, because this is a public forum.]
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

I don't know of a way to add a mini HDD or SSD directly to a Raspberry Pi. There are many vendors of aftermarket accessories, so there might be something available commercially. With the model 4 having USB3 ports, that would not be a performance bottleneck. There's a fairly active Usenet newsgroup called comp.sys.raspberry-pi that may have information. A great deal of, maybe most, open-source software will compile and run on ARM. PM me if you want to converse more specifically about the Raspberry Pi--lest I get in trouble for off-topic posting. 1/2 :-)
munaish

Post by munaish »

@rmrichesjr @richardsontb

Yeah, Raspberry Pi computers aren't the only thing that use arm processors. Most phones and tablets do, too, of course. You can use Termux on them (which is basically a handy command-line Linux). I imagine programs compiled on Termux could potentially work on a Raspberry Pi and vice versa. I program on Termux with Nano and a bluetooth keyboard (you could always use Vim or Emacs as your text editor, though--but Nano is more than initially meets the eye).
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

If we were to change focus to a PI based Linux project, how would it be received in this forum? It is a lot more realistic than an entire OS.

I grew up on DOS. I am very comfortable with the command line. However, the original Puppy developer used simple scripts to get a lot of things done that GUI's do now. Those scripts were tacked to the menu interface. Also, I used a text editor on Puppy for years. It was called something like Leaf.

I have been watching Lubuntu for several years. It has moved to a QT based menu. I don't know what Raspian uses right now, but Lubuntu seems to think it is a better choice. Does it have a much smaller footprint? I think it does. I was scanning this forum and there is a fellow that was developing a Library type app, something like the mobile app. The last update was two years ago (on github), but it might be fruitful to try to bring some focus to that project. The thing that I worry about is the accuracy of the content. I asked many years ago for permission to print a copy of the pre 1981 Boof of Mormon. I did not receive it. I have no problem with that fact. However, it enlightened me about not representing something as "Church" when it really isn't. How to rectify this, I don't know. It would seem that keeping this project on the Church forum would help with this. It would allow trust to be made with the content group of the Church. If we can prove that we can keep the Lord's revealed truth pure, and protect it , then maybe they might share it with us.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

What would a Church-oriented Linux project offer that the average Latter-day Saint (or maybe in a narrower scope, tech-oriented Latter-day Saint) would want, that isn't already available from somewhere else?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

I am willing to conform to the will of the group.

I was thinking at least an app which contains the Gospel Library. It used to be online, but the other day I tried to use it and it directed me to download a program. I was using Windows 11. With the experience of One Laptop Per Child and Chromebooks, Raspberry Pi finally has the ability to find its way into even the poorest communities, maybe through grants. Anyway, I have downloaded Microsoft Edge for Linux. It works really well. The default OS (Raspbian) is focused on teaching students. With slight modifications, we should be able focus a version on genealogy, gospel study and the like.

The real piece de resistance would be authorized use of Church literature and scriptures. It seems that with guidance we can maintain the purity of authorized texts. I guess what I really want is the Gospel Library for Linux and a cleaned up version of Raspbian.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Has there ever been any project not backed by a commercial entity that has received Church authorization to use any Church-owned content?

While I have been accused of being an idealist on occasion, and while I have no official information, from what I have heard and seen discussed on relevant topics, I would estimate there is zero chance for a volunteer-based project to receive any authorization for any Church-owned content.
munaish

Post by munaish »

sbradshaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:01 pm What would a Church-oriented Linux project offer that the average Latter-day Saint (or maybe in a narrower scope, tech-oriented Latter-day Saint) would want, that isn't already available from somewhere else?
Community. Fellowship. Shared interests.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Eons ago, when 8-bit roamed the desktops and there were no real standard, the conventional wisdom was to find the the software you wanted to run, and then buy the Hardware/Operating System that ran it. To go the other way was to put the cart before the horse.

I think that advice still stands.

The question is, what software will members want to run (besides the church stuff)? I'm not real optimistic of any widespread acceptance of anything based on Linux simply because there's too many popular software packages that don't have a LInux version.

Instead, you may want to consider securing an existing OS to meet your goals.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”