Removing a name from church membership...

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
cdawardclerk-p40

Removing a name from church membership...

Post by cdawardclerk-p40 »

I recently have been tasked to remove a membership name from the church records. The member has requested that his name be removed from church records and supplied us with a signed letter wanting removal. I sent out a letter acknowledging his request and giving him 30 days for the opportunity to cancel if he so wishes. The 30 day period has past and we received no letter back from him. Now I need to forward this request to CHQ. Is there a specific form in MLS to address this process? Do I just forward the letters to CHQ? I would appreciate some direction for this problem. Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdawardclerk wrote:I recently have been tasked to remove a membership name from the church records. The member has requested that his name be removed from church records and supplied us with a signed letter wanting removal. I sent out a letter acknowledging his request and giving him 30 days for the opportunity to cancel if he so wishes. The 30 day period has past and we received no letter back from him. Now I need to forward this request to CHQ. Is there a specific form in MLS to address this process? Do I just forward the letters to CHQ? I would appreciate some direction for this problem. Thank you.
MLS provides the forms in the Confidential Reports and Forms section (lower left corner of the main MLS screen). The form you need is the "Report of Administrative Action." Use MLS to fill out the form, and pay attention to the detailed instructions that are on the form. It sounds like you have done part of the steps, but the bishop was supposed to discuss it with the stake president first before sending the letter to the member. In any case, the form has all the information you need regarding procedures and what to send in to the administration office.
cdawardclerk-p40

Post by cdawardclerk-p40 »

Thank you Alan. I will look for this report in MLS and discuss it with the Bishop. We don't deal with these subjects very often and I am an 'eight month old' Ward Clerk still trying to 'feel my way' along this new calling. This LDS Tech Forum is a most valuable tool in helping me with church administration duties. I can't thank you and all the moderators enough!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cdawardclerk wrote:I will look for this report in MLS and discuss it with the Bishop.

I assume the bishop told you to send the letter. I would suggest, from personal experience [smile], that the bishop have a copy of the letter you sent when he goes to speak with the stake president about it. I expect that things will go better.

As Alan said, follow the instructions on the form. And I think the form also refers to the pertinent pages of the CHI, which will make good reading for future reference.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

cdawardclerk wrote:I am an 'eight month old' Ward Clerk still trying to 'feel my way' along this new calling. This LDS Tech Forum is a most valuable tool in helping me with church administration duties. I can't thank you and all the moderators enough!
It is great to hear you find the forum so useful and it is a great calling you have.
dhastings

Re: Removing a name from church membership...

Post by dhastings »

There is a new procedure for this that has been moved to the LCR. The new process is to log onto LDS.org and proceed to the LCR. Then select the Membership menu and select Name Removal from the resulting menu.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

dhastings wrote:There is a new procedure for this that has been moved to the LCR. The new process is to log onto LDS.org and proceed to the LCR. Then select the Membership menu and select Name Removal from the resulting menu.
That menu entry must be calling-dependent. I'm a ward membership clerk, but I do not see that menu entry. For the benefit of those who might find this thread in the future, I think it would be helpful to know whether a ward clerk, bishop's counselor, or only bishop has that menu entry.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dhastings is a stake clerk. If there's no option for the bishop, then I'm sure the procedure in Handbook 1: 6.14 still applies for the ward-level process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rmrichesjr wrote:For the benefit of those who might find this thread in the future, I think it would be helpful to know whether a ward clerk, bishop's counselor, or only bishop has that menu entry.
According to the access table only the Stake President, Stake Clerk, Bishop and Ward Clerk have access.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

eblood66 wrote: According to the access table only the Stake President, Stake Clerk, Bishop and Ward Clerk have access.
Thank you, eblood66 for the pointer to the access table. I had not noticed it over in the 'Other' menu in LCR.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”