Removing ex-spouse from tree

nataliepriscillaoldfield

Removing ex-spouse from tree

Post by nataliepriscillaoldfield »

Hi everyone,

Quick question, does anyone know how to remove an ex-spouse from their Tree view? I have added divorce details as a 'marriage event' however I don't know how to remove the ex from being so prominent on the person page or in tree view. Titles are all still the same i.e. 'husband' and 'wife' so essentially nothing has changed. The divorce is only visible by going into the marriage details.

Thanks in advance!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Removing ex-spouse from tree

Post by sbradshaw »

For genealogical records, it's important that all relationships be recorded, so that children can be linked to their parents, and so that everyone can receive their temple ordinances. When doing family history and temple work, a former marriage is just as important as a current marriage. Therefore, previous marriages remain recorded even after a divorce is recorded.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If there are multiple marriages for this person, there is a small checkbox in a grey bar under each couple to make one of them the the "preferred" relationship. In my experience, the checkmark moves that couple to the top so the other marriages are lower on the page (and also shows the children of that couple by default). Perhaps this will help to keep things lined up as you desire.
Sreese4200

Post by Sreese4200 »

I totally get this question. After 10 years of abuse, and then a horrible divorce, I almost stopped going on family search just because I didn't want to see his name all the time. I understand that I need my marriage to him to be on there because he is the father of my children, but I added a marriage to a different person that hasn't happened yet (with the preferred box checked) just so his name won't show up in my tree view. I'm assuming that if for some reason I don't marry again and die without removing this new "spouse", the people who look at this other marriage will know that "Better Choice" isn't a real person, lol!

Return to “FamilySearch Products”