Deceased relative membership information

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
petersonjudy

Deceased relative membership information

Post by petersonjudy »

Have deceased brother's ashes. He died 3 years ago. Want to bury him at Georgia National. I would like to know if he is still listed as a member for burial purposes and also for genealogy purposes. He was a member many years ago (in the 1960's) Can I obtain this information from you and if so, what information do I need to provide to obtain it?
Thanks.
drepouille

Re: Deceased relative membership information

Post by drepouille »

When a member of the LDS Church dies, and his death is recorded on his membership record, certain information (birth, marriage, and death) is transferred to FamilySearch.org, where you can see it if you have an account on that web site. If you are also LDS, and login using your LDS Account, you should also be able to see his ordinance dates (baptism, endowment, sealing).
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
petersonjudy

Post by petersonjudy »

My question really is: Is he a member. I know he was at one time as he married in the temple in the 60's. Within a few years of his marriage he divorced and I do not believe he ever went back to church. For this moment I want to know if he still is a member of record so I can have him buried at the military cemetery , Georgia National with the proper marker.
petersonjudy

Post by petersonjudy »

The question is really..... is he still a member. I am new to family search. When I entered his name it says "Unable to display the temple ordinances for this individual." What exactly does this mean? Was he dis-fellowshipped or excommunicated or?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

petersonjudy wrote:The question is really..... is he still a member. I am new to family search. When I entered his name it says "Unable to display the temple ordinances for this individual." What exactly does this mean? Was he dis-fellowshipped or excommunicated or?
I believe that may be a temporary error message, which may or may not be resolved the next time you check for ordinances.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

petersonjudy wrote:The question is really..... is he still a member.
With his full name and date of birth, your bishop will be able to determine your brother's membership status at the time of his death. I believe a visit with your bishop is the best way for you to find an answer to this question, and any others you probably have.

I would not think that any of this should affect the burial of his ashes, however. But let your bishop help you.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There's a lag in how quickly membership information shows up in FamilySearch. It may be more than a few days.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
hmuhlestein

Post by hmuhlestein »

How quickly do the recently deceased's ordinance show up in their record? Thanks!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

hmuhlestein wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:06 pm How quickly do the recently deceased's ordinance show up in their record? Thanks!
It may take a few days or a few weeks, after the death was recorded by the ward clerk; but note that the record created by FamilySearch for a deceased member isn't the same record as any private people you may have on your tree – so, some merging of duplicates may be needed. See this article:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/help/helpcenter/article/missing-ordinance-and-membership-information-in-family-tree
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davdis

Post by davdis »

how do i find information about my deceased adult son

Return to “Membership Help”