General Conference Audio Downloads

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
AdamDenison

General Conference Audio Downloads

Post by AdamDenison »

I used to have the option of downloading either the GC audio or video, but now it's only video it seems. Anyone else notice this? Or am I just missing it?

I prefer the audio for my commute so I don't have to open videos. Also, the old way used to auto advance to the next talk.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: General Conference Audio Downloads

Post by sbradshaw »

You should be able to download general conference audio. First, make sure you're on the latest content catalog. In Android Gospel Library, you can do this by going to the main library screen and pulling downward (you may need to do this twice – currently, it checks for content the first time you swipe, but if there is an update it doesn't always apply it until the second time you swipe). Making sure you're on the latest catalog is important because sometimes the text of new content becomes available before the audio; so if you have an older version of the conference, it might not have the audio files yet.

Next, open the conference you want to download audio for (for example, General Conference > April 2018).

Tap the three-dots overflow menu in the top right corner, and choose "Download Audio."

Finally, tap Download on the confirmation box that comes up, and wait for the download to finish.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
AdamDenison

Post by AdamDenison »

It only seems to work like that when I'm on wifi. When I'm in my car the audio is the robotic text to speech stuff.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

AdamDenison wrote:It only seems to work like that when I'm on wifi. When I'm in my car the audio is the robotic text to speech stuff.
In the Gospel Library settings, there is an option named "Limit Mobile Network Use" which, when turned on, will only download and stream on wi-fi. My guess is, for what you want to do, you need to turn this off. Let us know if it works.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You should be able to download the audio while on Wi-Fi. Then, when you're not on Wi-Fi, it should use the downloaded recordings (even if you leave the "Limit Mobile Network Use" setting on).
hartleyrg

Post by hartleyrg »

sbradshaw wrote: Tap the three-dots overflow menu in the top right corner, and choose "Download Audio."
Finally, tap Download on the confirmation box that comes up, and wait for the download to finish.
Then where do you find the audio file to play it?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Once it's downloaded, when you play the audio, it will use the downloaded file instead of streaming. You can test by putting your device in airplane mode and attempting to play.
rlambson

Post by rlambson »

the option seems to be no longer available, only "play audio".
I don't want to download the video because its so large, 1gb.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

rlambson wrote:the option seems to be no longer available, only "play audio".
I don't want to download the video because its so large, 1gb.
When you're on an individual talk, the "Download Audio" option is inside the audio player – tap the headphones icon to open the audio player, then tap the options (three dots) menu and choose "Download Audio." This will download the audio for a single talk.

When you're in the table of contents where all talks are listed, "Download Audio" is in the overflow menu in the top right, and will download audio for all of the talks in that conference.
kotarokun

Post by kotarokun »

While this works, it's 1) a real pain to pull up every talk and individually download the audio, and 2) not very useful to use when e.g. exercising or driving, as launching any individual talk requires a lot of manual intervention, which is inconvenient, and in fact illegal while driving in many locales. In the past, it was possible to download individual talks for the entire conference in one fell swoop, which individual files could then be played with a normal music app. It is still possible to download full sessions one at a time, which can then be broken up into talks by hand, but that's still not nearly as easy or useful as the capability of downloading all the the talks with one operation. If there's any way to bring back that feature, I'm sure many people would greatly appreciate it. I know I would.

Thanks,

David
David Luke

Return to “Android Gospel Library”