How do you unlock a missionary phone

nathanmaxwell

Re: How do you unlock a missionary phone

Post by nathanmaxwell »

I have somewhat of a different problem. I'd like to give my Galaxy A32 to a friend who's serving soon, but I've completely forgotten my passcode (alphabetic, not numeric). It'd be nice if I got to unlock my phone and save pictures and such, but I'm not super concerned about that part. Is there a way to reset the phone without the current password available? On two occasions, I've ran through all the passwords it might be, and I'm worried about locking it up for good.
james.gurr@missionary.org

Post by james.gurr@missionary.org »

I would check old passwords and see if you can find any luck.

Another option:
I had a companion who was 100% bricked (lost all apps). He couldnt open settings or wifi and needed an update. They way we fixed the issue was by typing the wrong password multiple times until it triggers a reset. This is one way to do it.
I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves. - Joseph Smith
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

For newer phones, I don't think it's possible to reset without the password, or an administrator (in the case of a mission phone) who has access. This is an intentional security feature by smart phone manufacturers to reduce the incentive for people to steal and resell stolen phones (along similar lines, never buy a used smart phone from an untrusted seller without first turning it on and verifying that it's not locked to someone's account).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
richielloydbrown
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by richielloydbrown »

I'm sorry it has been difficult to find instructions to factory reset your phone. Instructions are sent to each missionary as they approach the completion of their mission and are usually accessible in the link provided above. However, the support site is only accessible to missionaries for a few months after their mission and is not available to the general membership, hence why you are not able to get access.

To make sure you get the help you need, please send the device Serial Number or IMEI number (found on the back of the device) along with the name of the missionary it was intended for to our support team by emailing: missionsupport@churchofjesuschrist.org. In most cases, they should be able to release the device from MaaS360 and or help with the factory reset.

Sincerely,
Richard Brown
Richard Brown
Product Manager | Missionary Department

Return to “Mobile Applications”