Export Custom Reports in LCR to comma delimited file

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
aplucinik

Export Custom Reports in LCR to comma delimited file

Post by aplucinik »

I see that the ability to design custom reports has recently been added to the LCR. The tool seems somewhat similar to the custom reports tool in the MLS. This is great that it is now available in the LCR. However, in the MLS, when you generate a custom report you can save the report output to a comma delimited (csv) file. This allowed me to then import the data into a Microsoft Access database where I can be as creative as I want in designing custom reports that aren't limited to a simple column/row format similar to a spreadsheet.

The simple table column/row format is very limiting in that you can fit only so many columns/fields on one sheet of paper. Once I have the data in an Access database I can design reports where I arrange fields in a free-form manner to allow a large number of fields to display between the left and right margins of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

Is there any chance that eventually, in LCR, we will be able to do at least one of the following:

1. Design custom reports in a free form format like we can in databases like Microsoft Access or the Libre Office database?
2. and/or output and save the custom report to a comma-delimited (csv) file like you can in the MLS?

I assume that eventually, the old MLS system will be discontinued and when that happens I will lose the ablity to export custom reports to a csv file.
Allan Plucinik
Stake Clerk
Colorado Springs, CO
eblood66

Re: Export Custom Reports in LCR to comma delimited file

Post by eblood66 »

We generally don't get much information about features planned for the future. As far as I know, nothing has been mentioned about what additional enhancements will be made to custom reports. You can certainly use the feedback link in LCR to make a suggestion. That's the official way of making requests.

However, I very much doubt that the CSV output will be added. Almost all other options to export data have been removed or not added to the equivalent portions of LCR. Although such exports are very convenient for us, I think they make it hard for the church to make sure that it is compliant with all privacy laws in all applicable jurisdictions.
aplucinik

Post by aplucinik »

Thanks for your response. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. It's going to become a lot more difficult to design custom reports that meet the needs of priesthood and auxiliary leaders.
Allan Plucinik
Stake Clerk
Colorado Springs, CO
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aplucinik wrote:It's going to become a lot more difficult to design custom reports that meet the needs of priesthood and auxiliary leaders.
It may be more productive to suggest those reports, or adding some ability to the custom reports.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bgraul

Post by bgraul »

I also noted that the ability to include the membership record number in custom reports is missing from the online version. MLS still has this capability, so my anxiety now is to wonder when and if the MLS custom report feature will be removed, or when and if the ability to add the membership record number will be included in the online custom report function. The number is ideal to serve as a unique primary key for indexing and common reference by other tables I link using it. Creating a unique key for each record from other information available to the online custom reports function would be cumbersome, difficult, and prone to errors. Really, the folks who have access to the custom report function are the ones who have the rights/privileges to access the member record number, so why is the trust being removed in the online version?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the church is trying to move away from letting clerks do their own data processing. I think you'd have more luck asking for the reports or tools to create the reports you need in LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:I believe the church is trying to move away from letting clerks do their own data processing. I think you'd have more luck asking for the reports or tools to create the reports you need in LCR.
Now if we can get bishops and stake presidents to stop asking clerks for reports that require them to do their own data processing, I think we will have a winner. ;)
ironhorse2004

Post by ironhorse2004 »

Where is this "custom reports" option you speak of for LCR. I cannot find it any where. Is it based on calling?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ironhorse2004 wrote:Where is this "custom reports" option you speak of for LCR. I cannot find it any where. Is it based on calling?
Yes, only the ward clerk, bishop, stake clerk and stake president can use custom reports. See the Create Report right in the Access Table in LCR.
ironhorse2004

Post by ironhorse2004 »

Ahh I see it greyed out now!! Why do Stake Executive Secretaries not have access to custom reports??? Thanks for the info!!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”