Gospel Library App Suggestions

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jacobsamuelthomas

Re: Gospel Library App Suggestions

Post by jacobsamuelthomas »

It would be helpful if we could use the night and underline tool in the notebook. That we you could creat a key for your marking style and even go back to highlight important thoughts and impressions that came during studying.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jacobsamuelthomas wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:13 pm It would be helpful if we could use the night and underline tool in the notebook. That we you could creat a key for your marking style and even go back to highlight important thoughts and impressions that came during studying.
There isn't a direct way to do this currently – however, one potential workaround is to use the bold, italic, or underline tools in the note editor to mark important phrases when you go back to read through a note.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mikemass

Post by mikemass »

the index for scriptures needs to have a list view option. Not being able to see a full page at a time because of large empty spaces is inconvenient.

The cursor keys need to work everywhere.

If these features are already present somewhere why aren't they in settings?

I have checked every option I could find. List. Appearance. Font. Others too.
brandonmwilson92

Post by brandonmwilson92 »

Good morning and Happy Sunday, I am not sure if this has been shared before, but I would love to see an update in which the user of gospel library does not have to download every piece of content that they wish to view. My suggestion is to take the streaming approach to consuming media, with the example of spotify, I do not need to download every song/album that I listen to, rather I use my data or wifi to connect. If people would like to download content to listen to outside of a good signal then I think that there should be an option to download but it should be a secondary option rather than the first. I would love to talk about it more.
Jefry

Re: Gospel Library App marking question

Post by Jefry »

Is there a way I can make my global marking a yellow underline? And then change the style on other things if I want?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

brandonmwilson92 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:39 am Good morning and Happy Sunday, I am not sure if this has been shared before, but I would love to see an update in which the user of gospel library does not have to download every piece of content that they wish to view. My suggestion is to take the streaming approach to consuming media, with the example of spotify, I do not need to download every song/album that I listen to, rather I use my data or wifi to connect. If people would like to download content to listen to outside of a good signal then I think that there should be an option to download but it should be a secondary option rather than the first. I would love to talk about it more.
I'm curious to hear more about what you feel would be the benefits of this approach. A lot of users want to minimize how much data their app uses, because cell phone plans often charge based on data used. Streaming is technically a download behind the scenes. The only difference is that a stream is a temporary download that removes itself when you navigate away. So, if you wanted to stream something twice (say, the current Come, Follow Me chapter), your device would have to download it twice.

If you want to stream without downloading, a workaround today would be to just use Gospel Library Online in a web browser.*

*Unfortunately, loading a page on Gospel Library Online can use more data than downloading a book in a Gospel Library app, due to the Javascript, header, footer, and other resources that load on the Church website. For example, loading this talk in Chrome transferred 2 MB of data according to the Chrome developer tools; but downloading the full October 2022 conference with all talks to the Gospel Library app is a 203 KB download.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Library App marking question

Post by sbradshaw »

Jefry wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:26 pm Is there a way I can make my global marking a yellow underline? And then change the style on other things if I want?
The Gospel Library app (at least iOS, Android, and Gospel Library Online – not sure about Windows) remembers the highlight style you used most recently. So, if you highlight something and set it to a yellow underline, the next highlight you create will automatically be a yellow underline.

To change the color of an existing highlight, you can tap on the highlighted word(s) (don't long-press on the words – just do a quick tap). This will select the highlight and bring up the annotation menu. From there, you can change the color of that highlight. Unfortunately, there's not a way to change the color of a lot of existing highlights all at once, if that's what you're trying to do.
westinator2

Post by westinator2 »

I would like an option to change the color/appearance of the footnote links that are JST. I find myself clicking every link looking for any JST verses
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

westinator2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:56 pm I would like an option to change the color/appearance of the footnote links that are JST. I find myself clicking every link looking for any JST verses
This is an interesting idea – your best bet may be to send this suggestion via in-app feedback in Gospel Library: overflow menu (three dots in the top right) > Help > Send Feedback. The team that responds to Gospel Library feedback emails prepares a report of the most common feature requests that's reviewed by the Gospel Library product manager regularly.

As a workaround to avoid constant clicking, on a tablet or on a phone in landscape, you can pin the sidebar open so that related content remains visible while you're reading the chapter.
dthomaswright

Post by dthomaswright »

westinator2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:56 pm I would like an option to change the color/appearance of the footnote links that are JST. I find myself clicking every link looking for any JST verses
Another suggestion and what I teach my Seminary students to do is to mark the footnote itself, just the small letter in the verse in red or a specific color, then they know they need to look at the JST.

Return to “Gospel Library”